Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMEI blocking

(Topic created on: 04-10-2022 05:24 PM)
jamess1985
Explorer
Options
Could it be made possible that when a phone is stolen, if I provide Samsung with the IMEI number of the handset that even if a device is hard reset, if another user tries to login with their Samsung account, the device won't work? I would assume the IMEI is automatically pulled digitally from the device when a Samsung account is logged in? This would not only make devices more secure, it would also discourage phone theft.
0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You can report the imei number to the police and they can put a ban on it, also contact you carrier they can do it too
jamess1985
Explorer
Options
Yeah I've done that, but I'm not sure if it blocks it worldwide?
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

There is a site called Immobilise  which offers free registration of Devices  , the online checking service  is utilised by Uk Police forces.  Some information from Ofcom here https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/safety-and-security/lost-... 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I think it blocks it here only
jamess1985
Explorer
Options
Thanks, I've logged it on there too. Just didn't know if a new Samsung update could include barring people from logging into a Samsung account when it's done from a barred handset? Is there any way to feed this back to the Development team?
AndrewL
Options

@jamess1985: Although it isn't exactly what you were looking for, I recommend checking out Find My Mobile, as this allows you to remotely manage a lost or stolen device, including the ability to lock the device and erase any personal data stored on it. To find out more, please follow the link below. 

https://www.samsung.com/uk/apps/find-my-mobile/

0 Likes
jamess1985
Explorer
Options
Thanks. Yeah, I tried Find My Device but had already been switched off. Have blocked the SIM and IMEI with EE. Was just wondering if Samsung could block users from logging into their Samsung account from a barred IMEI. Would be a good additional security feature, especially if mobile operators can only block IMEI in certain countries
0 Likes
Richmar83
Helping Hand
Options
The Immobilise website and UK service provider IMEI block markers go onto the National Mobile Phone Register (NMPR) which is used by law enforcement and, if registered, will have details of who blocked it, crime ref, and if its been searched for previously by law enforcement - if so then gives details of force, officer, reason.
Once a provider puts a block on an IMEI for their network it then filters through onto a cross-network block meaning it cannot be used on any UK network. Unfortunately that block onto applies in the UK and UK roaming networks so it can be used in other countries.
Also, although illegal due to the Mobile Phone Reprogramming Act 2002 it is quite easy to modify (clone) the encoded IMEI of a stolen handset to that of a clean one [ I've had Samsung S10's come back as a G600 when checking their IMEI & the NMPR register go on for pages due to the number of times it had been searched].

I agree about the inclusion of an additional security element in Samsung app but maybe based on an encoded / encrypted serial number that cannot be modified within the handset rather than IMEI.
I personally have all my devices registered with Immobilise, Find my Mobile, and also use Prey so it can be remotely traced, locked, unable to be started / reset and, if stolen, all they have gained is a novelty paperweight!

* IMEI Reprogramming is illegal. My experience is from working within Law Enforcement Digital Forensics.
jamess1985
Explorer
Options
Thank you - that's all super useful, much appreciated. My phone was stolen in Italy - do you know if there is any equivalent for the EU where I can register the IMEI on there too? I requested Lock via Find My Samsung but it was likely already turned off - but had a PIN and fingerprint on the phone for security. What is Prey? Is it worth installing on my new phone, over and above Find My Mobile/Samsung?
0 Likes