Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S22 screen turns off too quickly in WhatsApp call.

(Topic created on: 19-04-2022 06:14 PM)
weatherbain
First Poster
Options

I have started using the Galaxy S22 ultra. When I'm in a WhatsApp call, my screen will not stay open for more than 2 seconds, even while looking at the screen. I touch it but it then  immediately goes dark very quickly again. I've tried every setting but I cannot change it. I have the smart stay setting to on. It's impossible to do anything on the screen while I'm in a WhatsApp call. I had no issues like this with my older galaxy s10. I hope someone can assist as this is extremely frustrating.

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
weatherbain
First Poster
Options

Do I assume nobody else has faced this issue? It is still happening and is driving me crazy.

0 Likes
Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

No other apps doing the same? If you temporarily change screen timeout to 2m does it make it better? 

0 Likes
weatherbain
First Poster
Options

Well it actually did work after I changed the screen timeout to 2 minutes (it was initially on 1 minute)...I was so pleased and I thought the problem was solved. However, just now it's started doing it again. The problem is back. Does this mean it could be another app causing this to happen? If so how would I check for that?

0 Likes
Members_4Im65yL
First Poster
Options

Same exact problem here!

Help

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@weatherbain @Members_4Im65yL: If you hold the phone to your ear during a WhatsApp call, then the proximity sensor will turn of the screen to prevent any accidental button presses. If you're encountering the issue during a video call then please try pressing the Side Key to return power to the screen, and make sure that you are in a well lit environment to allow the front camera to detect your face. If you have 'Keep screen on while viewing' active, then please try heading to Settings > Advanced features > Motions and gestures > Keep screen on while viewing, and disable this feature to see if you notice an improvement. Furthermore, disable 'Double tap to turn off screen' to see if this helps. 

0 Likes
weatherbain
First Poster
Options

The problem is it doesn't happen every time- it seems to be random. And its not when my phone is at my ear, as I will be using a headset or earbuds when in a call and the only way to keep the screen on is to tap it every 1 to 2 seconds, which makes it impossible to do anything with the phone whilst in a call and also trying to use the phone at the same time. The screen just keeps turning off. The lighting is good so its not that. I took it to Samsung, and they said it is likely a software issue. I uninstalled Whatsapp twice but noting changed. They asked me to reset settings, but that also made no difference. They now want to reset my phone and do a full re-install, which I am not keen on doing. Was hoping to have this resolved by now. I notice also that Google maps sometimes is glitchy when I am in a Whatsapp call and trying to use the GPS. 

0 Likes
weatherbain
First Poster
Options

Did you have any luck resolving the problem?

0 Likes
weatherbain
First Poster
Options

As an update, I went several times to the Samsung service centre, until they finally convinced me to factory reset the phone, which I was very hesitant to do. They believed that it was perhaps a conflict of apps and app data from when I first installed the phone. I was also having issues with the Google maps feature during WhatsApp calls. They suggested not to restore the old data and settings or else it could bring back the issue, but rather to install fresh copies of everything.  After the reset, and carefully reinstalling my apps and data individually (which was painful), it seemed the phone was suddenly working much better that before, and the Google maps and WhatsApp screen issue seemed resolved. Until the next day, the screen turning off during WhatsApp calls issue began again. It was so upsetting after all that effort. However one interesting thing happened. While having the screen issue, I happened to be passing near the same Samsung service. So I took the phone in while the issue was occurring. The agent looked at the phone, removed the Samsung smart flip cover, and suddenly the problem was resolved. The screen timeout was normal during the WhatsApp call for that moment. It happened again just now, and again after removing the flip cover, the issue was resolved. I don't know if this is coincidence or whether the actual Samsung cover (perhaps a faulty chip) is the ultimate cause of these problems. I wonder if anyone else has had similar issues with these covers. I'm monitoring the phone now to see what happens next. This experience has turned me off buying a Samsung phone in future. I didn't pay so much money to have this prolonged issue that nobody can resolve. It's very disappointing.

0 Likes
Members_2niBnG5
First Poster
Options

I had the same problem. Remove the cover and the problem is resolved! Who knows why. Samsung don't seem to know. However, problem solved. A bit inconvenient. 

0 Likes