Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S22 - can't power off to hard reset

(Topic created on: 17-11-2022 01:35 PM)
Hazel22
Apprentice
Options

My stepdad died and my Mum can't get into his S22-5G-128Gb phone as she doesn't have the pattern code.  She's asked me to do a hard reset on it, but the tutorials say I need to switch it off first. 

Pressing the Power button and volume down gets to the Power Off screen, but I tap the Power Off button twice and it asks for the pattern code.

I tried letting the battery run down to zero,  and pressing the Power button and volume up, but that didn't work either.

I have his email details so I can sort it out once it's been hard reset, but I can't power down the actual phone without knowing the pattern code.  Can anyone help please?  It's an expensive bit of kit for my Mum to lose.  Thank you.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Contact Samsung support 

Hazel22
Apprentice
Options

They suggested I take it to a Samsung shop, and show them proof my stepdad bought it and that he's dead, but Mum doesn't have the receipt, and the nearest shop is miles away.  So they were lovely on the chat, but couldn't help.

0 Likes
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Where was the phone purchased?
Maybe the retailer can supply a copy of the receipt.
A bank statement maybe able to show where the phone was purchased from if you know the date of purchase.
If it was bought online, then there would be an email with the confirmation of purchase.
Failing this, if you know any of the security answers, a Samsung Experience Store maybe able to help.
Hazel22
Apprentice
Options

Thanks, Mum doesn't know where or when or for how much.  I'll trawl the emails, see if I can find anything.   She might know the answers if we can find out the questions, but again, the nearest Samsung store is an hour and a half away by car, two hours by train.  I was hoping there'd be an easier answer just to switch it off and start from scratch.  I'm all for security, but surely he's not the first Samsung owner to die?

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Hazel22: I do understand your concerns, however as your query relates to as security feature of the device, it is important for our engineers to verify proof of ownership before it can be bypassed. Do you happen to know the Samsung account details that were registered to the phone? If so, please follow the link below, sign in using the relevant credentials, and you may be able to remotely unlock the phone from here. 

https://findmymobile.samsung.com