Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

EP-T4510 GaN 45 watts charger and S22 Ultra

(Topic created on: 29-03-2022 01:46 PM)
Krisalex79
Helping Hand
Options

Hello team, 

i heard about the new GaN EP-T4510 45 watts charger, and i also heard there is some advanced power management happening between S22+ and S22 Ultra on one side of the 5A (100Watts) cable and the charger on the other side of the cable, leading to faster charge, longer lasting charge and less negatives for the battery, compared to the old charger. 

Does anyone has more relevant knowledge on the topic?

I am NOT interested in some blah-blah-blah-blah youtube reviewer who uses 3amp cable and older s9 or note 9 device which does not support this kind of charging.

If anyone has relevan knowledge how the magic happens between the s22 ultra and the GaN EP-T4510 charger,  please keep me updated.

Thank you.

The FACT that i PRETEND to believe you, DOES NOT mean i actually believe you.
0 Likes

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
DarkBahamut
Pioneer
Options

Between the old and new charger there should be no real difference as far as the phone is concerned. I believe both support the same exact current ranges so the phone should charge the same. The battery will wear the same, the charging on the phone side is all exactly the same.

Any speed difference between the two is pure run to run varience, or it could be possible the old charge gets hotter and slows itself a bit due to thermals. Either way, there should be effectively no real difference. New charger is a bit smaller!

View solution in context

Solution
DarkBahamut
Pioneer
Options

That is how it works, but thats just "standard" for USB-PPS charging. Both the old and new charger (and any other USB-PPS charger) will do the same.

There isn't any magic going on it mind you. At the very base level, the charging stratergy is the same that's been used for ~30 years.

View solution in context

9 REPLIES 9
Solution
DarkBahamut
Pioneer
Options

Between the old and new charger there should be no real difference as far as the phone is concerned. I believe both support the same exact current ranges so the phone should charge the same. The battery will wear the same, the charging on the phone side is all exactly the same.

Any speed difference between the two is pure run to run varience, or it could be possible the old charge gets hotter and slows itself a bit due to thermals. Either way, there should be effectively no real difference. New charger is a bit smaller!

Krisalex79
Helping Hand
Options

of what i heard, basically the new charger and the phone constantly "talk to each other", basically managing the battery and charging current, varying charging current according to the current state of the battery, what will be the next state of the battery and based on that it makes decision about the charging current.

can any one confirm or deny?

0 Likes
Solution
DarkBahamut
Pioneer
Options

That is how it works, but thats just "standard" for USB-PPS charging. Both the old and new charger (and any other USB-PPS charger) will do the same.

There isn't any magic going on it mind you. At the very base level, the charging stratergy is the same that's been used for ~30 years.

Krisalex79
Helping Hand
Options

Thanks for the good  answer, i appreciate it a lot. 😃

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
GaN chargers are supposedly more efficient than the standard silicon chargers of old. So if any speed difference is noticed, it'll be from the fact the thermals were kept better in check from the GaN charger.
Krisalex79
Helping Hand
Options

Actually i had the expectation of something else, i had the expectation, that the phone and charger negotiate more optimal charging, based on new features and abilities of both new phone and new charger, somehow being designed and optimized for each other, so when you connect them, they see their expected match, but i see this is not the issue. 

0 Likes
Balling
Pioneer
Options

I just bought new EP-T4510 charger and there is no difference on its 5 A cable with old charger  (EP-TA850) or new charger with new or old cable. The hack where you stop charging in the middle and its stops throttling does not appear to happen either (it was reported that allows to charge S22 Ultra in 40 minutes instead of 60).

https://www.reddit.com/r/samsung/comments/sx7vc1/comment/j0r9ihw/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&...

0 Likes
Krisalex79
Helping Hand
Options

Where was reported like this? Samsung **bleep** extra care and prioritizes the battery health above all else. Ask them what happened with Note 7 when it was charged too aggressively.... note 7 were popping ***** popcorn. After the shame and humiliation, they learned a vary painful lesson and now they do not hard press their batteries beyond reason.

0 Likes
Krisalex79
Helping Hand
Options

Apple is even slower, but this does not seem to bother anyone, if Samsung are slow Samsung are lame, if apple are slow - apple is the greatest, if the are slow they are cool because they have mega cool reason to be slow.

0 Likes