Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I or don't I?

(Topic created on: 19-02-2023 11:24 AM)
emeles
Pathfinder
Options
I keep telling myself I don't need to upgrade my one year old S22 Ultra for the S23 Ultra.
I keep telling my wife I won't need upgrading now.
I keep trying to convince myself that the s22 Ultra gives me all I need currently.
And yet there is a small nagging question in my mind which says 'maybe you should upgrade'

Any advice, suggestions, experience of the two which you care to share includ8ng maybe wait for S24 Ultra which is only 12 months away?

Thanks 
11 REPLIES 11
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I was in the same boat as you.
I did look into it and for me. The changes in things like the cameras were something I wanted. Only realistically small improvements, but for me important ones.
Plus being a tech head, I couldn't resist getting the new phone in the end 🙄

It's a very subjective thing to give advice for.

The S22 Ultra is such a brilliant phone, unless you see something that's better and you need it. You are better to keep the S22 Ultra.
Otherwise it will feel like the same thing for you, as they are very similar.

Overall, all the small improvements on the new phone do make things a bit smoother etc.
Hardware wise I do have to say that the S23 Ultra feels better to hold. Plus the less pronounced curved edges on the screen are better.

Your best bet is to look at long term reviews rather than the hyped up release day stuff.
Go through the specs to compare.
If you have a Samsung Experience Store near you, then get hands on with one. Or a phone store that has them on display.

It's a lot of money and you want to be sure.
Hopefully you can can settle that nagging question.
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
For me the battery life is amazing, speed, ok the camera too

That's why pulled the trigger on it
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
I have pondered with this for a while, still pondering I suppose. I've always been a buttons and gadgets person so I like having the latest tech. I was very disappointed with the S22 but not for its capabilities. More down to an endless stream of bugs early on, some very serious ones. I think the biggest mistake Samsung made was to release the same device with different processors so it is more difficult to engineer solutions to fix issues on 2 different technologies a recipe for unforeseen issues. The decision to go with one processor in the S23 in my opinion will be a major step forward as whilst it won't stop bugs in itself, it will make them much easier and quicker to fix. If I upgrade it would be mainly for the processor. I think the S23 is no doubt a better phone and most likely more stable and predictable but as others have pointed out the actual differences in specs are minor and its a lot of money to lay out for minor improvements. I suppose it depends on your pocket and your needs I.e small improvements in battery life and device performance can make a big difference to some people but not be noticale to others. I remember upgrading from the S7 to the S9 and being disappointed as I spent a lot but didn't notice any significant improvements. So for now I'm sticking with the S22 but if a deal came along that was too good to miss who knows as I'm a sucker for freebies and good deals.
T457
Pioneer
Options
If u play games then definitely upgrade and battery, camera no heating issues are other reasons
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
If you have such doubts @emeles, my advice is to wait a month and see how you feel then. If you simply can't wait then the upgrade is definitely for you. 👍
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@emeles I would say to look at reviews/videos at least but hands at  a  Samsung Experience Store will give you a better idea.  I suppose it boils down to if you can justify the price tag for the enhancements provided and if that would make a real difference to you.  However you may want the latest tech  and are looking for some encouragement.   Some will go on instinct on major purchases whilst others undertake a cost Benefit Analysis 😁

Personally I think there may well be a bigger improvement in 2024 but know a number  are really impressed with the S23 Ultra.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I'm in the same boat as you @emeles 

I have the Samsung Galaxy s²² Ultra 256gb with Exynos soc and it is working seamlessly the same day as launch date.

The camera still takes awesome pics and the battery on mine lasts from 5am to 9pm with around 40% battery left with my usage habits.

Yes the new phone has a Qualcomm Snapdragon soc inside which many have been campaigning for instead of the Exynos soc we in the UK recieved in the s²² Ultra.

I've owned both variants in phone's and found the Snapdragon to potentially provide smoother optimisation and in my case around an hour longer battery time.

I imported a Samsung Note²⁰ from Samsung Hong Kong to see for myself what differences there was between the two variants.

That said I haven't experienced any noticeable lag in my s²² Ultra  apart from in the Twitter App.

The Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra does indeed bring some very nice powerful additions over it's predecessor the s²² Ultra which can be compared via the Samsung Website and many other compare websites.

Then there's the disposable income implication to purchase the new phone or upgrade via the network of choice.

I purchase outright from Samsung Uk.

Personally I'm a phone person so I typically buy the next new Samsung phone. 

I don't trade in my phone's but the offer Samsung were offering with the storage bump for free was tempting as this also gave the larger Ram option too.

So right now once I'm sure a certain timeframe had elapsed Samsung may introduce more promotional offers too to compliment the Samsung Galaxy s ²³ Series of phone's.

I'm not yet at the stage of pulling the trigger so time  will tell 😉

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

emeles
Pathfinder
Options
Thanks, A lot of what you say is already floating around my head plus the cost to upgrade of several £100 pounds. 👍
0 Likes
emeles
Pathfinder
Options
For a lotbofbthe same reasons I'm edging towards holding my S22 Ultra, which finally Samsung seem to have got almost right and waiting to see what offers come up. When I upgraded from an s21 to the s22 the cost to change with launch offers was around £400 (plus the buds which I sold on as I already had a pair) The cost from s22 to s23 is more like £750.
Time will tell.