Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Next Phone - 2023

(Topic created on: 28-12-2022 09:04 PM)
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Hi Guys.

So I have had the S21 Ultra from pre order and so almost coming up to two years .

I didn't feel the the need to upgrade to the S22 ultra as it felt just an incremental update and also because of COVID I didn't really get to use my phone much for the first year.

I was waiting for the S23 ultra to blow my mind but initial reports are not very convincing. Will see about it as I may or may not go for it.

I needed something new to play so have ordered a Pixel 7 and so will be swapping my aim to it and probably giving my S21 ultra to my son whose still rocking my S9+ .

Love everything about my S21 ultra besides the slow shutter speed and I sometimes don't like the duplicity of the apps from Samsung and Google.

Although recently I have switched all my default apps to Google ( phone, contacts, messages, voice assistant)

The reason for that was I felt the latest update messed up the wqhd which I was using all the time and I switched to fhd+ and switching to Google apps seems to be giving me better battery life.

So This maybe farewell or I maybe back with S23 Ultra :smiling-face: .

Untill then I will give The Google Pixel 7 a chance to sway me over.

What is your next phone gonna be?
18 REPLIES 18
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Noooooo don't go, I hope you come back, why not use both?
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Only got one sim 😁. Also wanna try the Pixel 7.
Maybe I am getting old and love the simplicity.
I'll be keeping a close eye on the S23 Ultra though.
0 Likes
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Say no to Pixel Maker!!! 🤣
WelshPaul
Troubleshooter
Options

Like you I'm still rocking my S21 Ultra. I didn't upgrade to the S22 because like you said above it wasn't much of an upgrade. Reports of poor battery life and network issues also put me off! I wanted to switch to a Google pixel but both the pixel 6 and 7 use a Samsung modem, and reports of poor network signal or loss of signal are rife and so held off. Because the S23 Ultra won't have the crappy Exynos chip, I'm probably going to give it a go but that depends on the price.

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung iPhone user.

Current Devices:
  • iPhone 14 Pro 256GB Deep Purple
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds+ > Model: SM-R175.
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@GoanGeek  Would hope that you can still use a Samsung Device and stick around 😁 I have had any significant issues with One UI 5.0 on the S21 Ultra, will need to see how the S23U shapes up.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
The Pixel 7 is a really good phone. I have one of my 3 SIM cards in the Pixel 7 Pro.
It's not a phone that some will like due to a more vanilla Android software setup. Cameras are great, but the lack of Pro mode and some other customisation is a bit annoying. But that's all part of the stripped back Android experience.

One thing since getting the Exynos S22 Ultra is that for me it's such a brilliant all round device. I get what you mean about duplicated apps.
Seeing the leaked specs of the S23 Ultra. I’m not sure they'd be any point me getting it, but will see when it gets announced.

But I will be happy to rock this S22 Ultra for another year anyway.
Along with my Z Fold 4, I feel I have a great setup

My next Samsung will probably be the Z Fold 5.
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Three SIM cards 😱?

Only thing I am worried is quiet a few people reporting broken camera lens mirrors on the Pixel 7.

I haven't used any of the pro modes to be honest.

Never used camera raw although have it installed.

I seem to like a more point and shoot style now.

And this is coming from a guy who owns Nikon cameras and lenses. Which are gathering dust atm.
I feel like I'm done with raw photos and lightroom.
Especially with phones becoming so good and you don't even need Photoshop to unblur photos or remove distracting stuff or do long exposure and then edit.

The time saved is crazy.

That's why I got the Pixel 7 instead of the pro as I kinda never used the 10x on my S21 ultra. The 3x yes as I am more of a Portrait shooter.

I would rather Samsung do an awesome 50MP shooter then 200MP nonsense which might strain the system.

I love their choice of lenses and stuff. They only need variable aperture like the S9+ and improve even more on their algorithms. And the shutter lag.

I still feel the S21 Ultra is a beast of a phone.
0 Likes
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Yeah I get involved in different chats etc. So one sim for that as a lot show your number for anyone in those chats to see, then there's work stuff and then personal phone number I want to keep private for family and online banking etc.
Could utilise the duel sim features of the phones, but I love my tech stuff.

I'd love a variable aperture again, especially if it could have more variation. But I guess the camera sensors are too small to make much of a difference.

Really phones for point and shoot are brilliant now. Its so handy.
But for some of the other stuff I do, my Lumix S1 camera is still my goto.
You will enjoy the results you get from the Pixel 7 camera.
Hopefully that Samsung urge will still be drawing you back at some point
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Definitely. I love both Pixels and Samsung S series phones.
0 Likes