Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Samsung Dex

(Topic created on: 26-08-2021 11:55 AM)
Aestolia
Apprentice
Options

Hi everyone, 

Has anyone been having problems with Samsung Dex connecting wirelessly to a Windows PC?

I've followed all the setup instructions I'm aware of. Dex is installed and showing in my system tray as it's supposed to on my pc, and we're on the same wireless network. 

When I try to connect from my S21, my PC shows up on the list of devices to connect to I can select it, and I press 'Start now' . On the PC, the Dex app pops up, starts the animation, and says 'Samsung DeX is getting ready to start.

but after a few moments it just closes, and my phone says 'Could not Connect to PC. Try again.'  but my PC still shows up as an option to connect wirelessly to. 

connecting via USB works fine.

Thanks for any input. 

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Aestolia   Just checking that you have deselected the Link to Windows as you cannot have both Dex and the Windows  link on at the same time for wireless connection.  see some information here https://hothardware.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s21-wireless-dex 

Fairly recently purchased an S21 Ultra , used Dex occasionally and is working fine.

As a matter of interest I also tried on an S10, there was a similar problem a week ago but tried again just now  and connected without issue.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Aestolia
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the feed back. 

I was pretty sure I had but just tried again to double check. I do in fact have link to Windows turned off.

I'm getting the same results as before.  I took some screens on the phone to better show my explanation.Link to windows OffLink to windows OffSelect DeX on PCSelect DeX on PCFound PC wirelesslyFound PC wirelesslyStarts to connect (DeX on PC shows connecting animation)Starts to connect (DeX on PC shows connecting animation)Connection Fails (DeX Window on PC closes, but is still in system tray. No other error messages.)Connection Fails (DeX Window on PC closes, but is still in system tray. No other error messages.)

0 Likes
Aestolia
Apprentice
Options

I should note that it say no compatible PC found when it can't connect, but the PC almost immediately shows up again. As the PC doesn't have any connectivity issues itself, I don't think it's an intermittent problem with the WiFi.

Solution
Aestolia
Apprentice
Options

Well for anyone who might find this helpful I seem to have found a solution, And it's something that I hope Samsung can find a way to Address in a future patch of some kind:

My PC is connected to both a Wired LAN and to the same Wireless as my Phone.  If I disable the LAN DeX has no issues connecting, after which I can re-enable the LAN and have both DeX running AND my preferred internet speeds for other purposes (such as Twitch streaming etc.)

So If you have both a LAN and a WiFi connection it will not let you connect, despite being discoverable.

majid1250
First Poster
Options

Hi Aestolia to get this fixed you have to install optional feature on windows PC. Goto>Settings>System>click projecting to PC>optional features>Add>wireless display.

it should work after this. I am not from samsung support but seeing you pain I decided to provide solution for you.

Syed

E:majid1250@gmail.com

elisonparker
First Poster
Options

i have facing the same on my Wireless Dex to connecting via USB works.

0 Likes
Megameatloaf
First Poster
Options

I had the exact same problem the original poster described in. My computer was running a 5ghz wifi hotspot and was also connected to the internet via LAN. Had the exact same problem, S10+. I followed the steps in your post and that immediately fixed my problem. If anybody is comming down this thread, please upvote this comment as the proper solution.

0 Likes
idkfa
First Poster
Options

Same story. You just have to select the "wireless TV or monitor" option instead. In my case, the phone even claims it is connected -- but the Wireless Display window just shows a swirling symbol and then disconnects after about 10 seconds.

0 Likes