Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will you unlock Dex 4k resolution s21 ultra with Smart monitor M7

(Topic created on: 29-01-2021 07:15 PM)
hsju526
Journeyman
Options

Yes or no?

I bought this thinking it would be amazing. Ended up with a huge 32 monitor displaying Dex in FHD.

So yes or no? Are you planning to fix this or will i be stuck with pixelated icons/text on this nice 4k monitor. Its like driving a ferrari with engine from a Fiat.

Please note, this have nothing to do with how i connect the phone to the monitor. I have tested everything. There is no support for higher resolution and please dont tell me to use it wireless, that mode is just for powerpoints because of the horrible lag.

20 REPLIES 20
strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options

hello @hsju526 

Dex Manual says:

Samsung DeX mode only supports Full HD resolution, and some content on your mobile device may be displayed differently on the TV or monitor.

😉

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

0 Likes
hsju526
Journeyman
Options

I think everybody buying this Samsung monitor advertised as a dex monitor will return it. Can you please link source that it only support FHD?

@Samsung any plan for a fix?

0 Likes
Andy3
Voyager
Options
why did you get a 4k screen and a s21 thinking the s21 will out put 4k 4096x2160? it won't dex is only fhd. it will only stay fhd as 4096x2160 is a huge battery drain and it will also cause Lagg over wifi
0 Likes
hsju526
Journeyman
Options

Bought Samsung Smart Monitor m7 made for Dex with usb-c so battery drain no problem. I thought this would be the perfekt match. Now I dont understand why anyone would buy this monitor.

Of course i dont use it over wifi. The wireless dex connection is just for presenting Powerpoint. Huge lag on any resolution 

The question is, will samsung fix this or not.

0 Likes
Andy3
Voyager
Options
battery drain with usb c? you still get battery drain. Samsung monitors are made for dex it states if you read the info about dex that it is only fhd. the screen on s21 is not 4096x2160 so what makes you think dex will be a higher res than the phone? put simply the hardware in the phone, cpu,ram and graphics is not capable of outputting 4096x2160. even with a wired connection at that resolution the battery will still drain faster than it can charge. the monitors do not have fast charging usb ports
0 Likes
hsju526
Journeyman
Options

If you make a quick google search you will find that fhd is not the highest resolution on dex. With wireless i get higher resolution. 

0 Likes
Andy3
Voyager
Options
Well all I can say is if you can't get dex to 3040x1440 via USB or WiFi then your monitor does not support dex at 3040x1440. your monitors only support dex at 1080 because of a hardware limitation. my Samsung 4k (4096x2160) does dex just fine WiFi at 3040x1440. it won't go to 4096x2160 as all dex is basically doing is screen mirroring the phone screens resolution. dex will only work at the max phone resolution if your monitor supports that resolution

20210130_080925_11142.jpg

0 Likes
Andy3
Voyager
Options
that must be your WiFi network. I get zero Lagg with dex at 3040x1440 on WiFi. your router or network must be having issues with high latency
0 Likes
ChuckieEgg
Explorer
Options
I'm sorry, this does not make sense. DeX is not mirroring the phone screen at all. It is putting DeX out as an external display, just as a laptop would. Someone on XDA had any resolution up to actual 4K working by rooting and changing settings in terminal with the S8. Samsung themselves say that they are working on it. https://www.samsung.com/nz/support/mobile-devices/when-using-the-samsung-dex-the-screen-is-cropped-o...

I suspect the problem is that android is not overly good at understanding the HDMI edid from all displays. I have issue with my monitor which is 3440x1440. windows works fine. Linux varied results across different flavours, drivers, chipsets, etc.
0 Likes