Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi issues. How to only let s21 connect to 5ghz? Constant issues with dropping out when a router also has 2.4ghz enabled too.

(Topic created on: 14-04-2022 12:50 AM)
Worstphoneever
Journeyman
Options

As per the title. These phones cannot handle 2.4ghz. Constant issues and poor speeds. When I'm connected to 5ghz only networks it is mostly OK, but when 2.4 is available, even when I'm close to the router, it causes all sorts of issues and tries to bounce between the two.

This phone is so garbage. Wifi issues since day one and I know Samsung nz will try and scam me out of money if I send it on for 'repairs'. Wifi issues are clearly widespread with this phone and require enormous amounts of energy and time to resolve.

Can't wait for my court date against Samsung for selling faulty goods. In the mean time what's the solution? 

8 REPLIES 8
Worstphoneever
Journeyman
Options

I've found a temporary fix for now. If you start a Hotspot connection, hide it and set it to never timeout when no one connects, and set it to 5ghz preferred, your phones wifi sticks to 5ghz.

My s21 was switching to 2.4ghz when I went to the end of my house despite getting 5-10x the speed on 5ghz being able to be achieved when it was connected to that(if I started test by router then ran to room, or sometimes when I reset wifi it would go to 5ghz for first 30 seconds sometimes).

Now I am in other side of house with tethering turned on in background and I've managed to do speed test after speed test at 80mbit+ over about 10 minutes now and my wifi hasn't disconnected either. In fact it's running super fast and snappy.

I suspect this will cause even faster battery drain however so ideally a better solution can be found. 

Worstphoneever
Journeyman
Options

Nevernimd, still cuts out and goes back to 2.4.. Can connect to 5g more frequently(but not always) when using this 'fix' but the connection won't stick. I got about 15min and then have had to reconnect to wifi 3 times over the next 5 min. 

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Set up a separate SSID for each band on your router so you can force a connection to either band.
0 Likes
Worstphoneever
Journeyman
Options

Yeah I might be able to do that with my router but I can't do that every time I visit a friend or stay at a hotel or workplace network..

If a fix requires you to have access to a modem then I don't think it's much of a fix.. 

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You won't need to do what I have recommended when at a hotel etc. What you are experiencing is lag because the 5G signal is trying to keep the connection but ultimately drops it and tries to connect to 2.4 Ghz.

It is a perfect fix and nothing to do with your phone. It is your router settings that's the problem.
This has worked for many. Please try it, it should sort out your connection issues. Also, if you are using BT equipment disable smart set up.
Worstphoneever
Journeyman
Options

But.. This network has about 5 phones on it. None, including my old phone, had issues. This s21 is the only phone that seems to require me to become an IT help desk and hack into modems. And you think that's OK? And you make claims it won't happen elsewhere? My router is most popular in my country. Every friend and family and many business use this router. My wifi has been terrible at all locations not just my house.

Another Samsung fan boy trying to make excuses and poor advice. 

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I tried to help you just resisted, decided you know better and make personal attacks. I don't know what "your country" is but in mine we respect people and are grateful for help and even when we disagree with someone we have the ability to do this without getting personal. Perhaps you could learn something from that.

0 Likes
Shywiz
First Poster
Options

Turn off Wi-Fi power saving mode in Advance Wi-Fi Settings.