Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Widespread Stuttering

(Topic created on: 21-12-2021 05:07 PM)
Trevbil
Journeyman
Options
Hi all,

Anyone else experiencing the unbearable micro to moderate stutters on S21U after updating to one UI 4.0? It has always been there for me, but the update just made everything so much worse. This happens especially with third party apps. Most notorious are Twitter, Facebook and Chrome. Anyone?
8 REPLIES 8
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I can't speak from experience as I'm not using the Samsung Galaxy s21 and my phone is no yet on Android 12 with Samsung One Ui 4.

What you could do is....

1. Clear the affected apps cache via Settings, Apps, Choose the App, Storage, Clear Cache. You could clear Data as a last resort too.
  2. Clear your System File Cache via the instructions in the Samsung Link. You may need to hook upto a computer or insert your headphones to get to the recovery menu. https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-clear-the-cache-on-my-device/ 
  3. Try Safe Mode just to see if it is 3rd party apps causing this. https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-to-start-my-galaxy-device-in-safe-mode/ disables downloaded apps, themes and other launchers to help determine if one or more is causing conflict. 
  4. As a last resort back up and factory reset.
  5. Send feedback via the Samsung Members App under the GetHelp section.

I prefer to access Facebook via my browsers url and have created a link in my Quicklinks section to access Facebook.

I've since uninstalled the Facebook App.

I use the Samsung Internet App as I find Google Chrome a resource hog. I appreciate you might be invested into the features using Google Chrome brings.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Trevbil
Journeyman
Options
Thank you so much for your reply. It was really helpful.

I already had cleared my system cache, cleared the offending apps caches, data, and was just one step short of resetting my phone. My post was a last resort.

However, you pointed out safe mode, which I had forgotten to test previously. Unfortunately, the Camera app and Chrome stuttered like before and became even worse once I turned WiFi on.

This does seem to be a device issue (maybe Exynos) as it had been present since day one but just got worse.

I use Chrome because Samsung Internet does not have a desktop browser. I only use Facebook on my browser on a desktop.

I am now considering leaving using Samsung phones which is a shame as I am quite invested in the ecosystem - watch, tab, buds, and all. However, this issue irks me so much that I am willing to switch.

Unfortunately, I can't post videos here, I could capture some of it on a screen recording.

Thank you again for your reply. It did provide some clarity.
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

You're very welcome @Trevbil 

I get your viewpoint on the Exynos soc as my own personal preference is a Samsung phone with the Qualcomm Snapdragon soc inside however I'm not entirely convinced this is the issue here.

I know you've experienced some issues before the update but do take into consideration your apps may still be optimising and your phone indexing after the major update.

My son uses the Samsung Galaxy s21 Ultra with Exynos soc and I've asked him before if he's noticed lag , stuttering,  frame drops etc and he says No. That said we all see  things differently.

Can you give Samsung Internet a whirl just as a process of elimination to see what happens.

I expect to see  incremental updates being sent put to phone's after receiving Android 12 with Samsung One Ui 4 to add further optimisation.

A Factory Reset is a broad sword to remedy issues that other troubleshooting tips haven't been able to remedy, however it's a last resort as it comes hand in hand with having to set some parts of the phone again and tweaking certain preference settings again to make the phone your own.

I'm sure your aware of this but others searching for help who come across this thread should be aware too. :smiling-face:

I'd suggest to persevere with this and  perhaps don't give up on it.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Trevbil
Journeyman
Options
I will keep using it for now. I will also try Samsung Internet for a while and see if it gets me less dissatisfied.

They are mostly micro stutters that I can pick up on, but sometimes they're very overt and - annoyingly - can be replicated.

I joined the beta programme and had reset my phone after the update some 2-3 weeks ago, so, I wonder why these problems persist. I do not think I'd reset the phone anymore as reactivating my financial apps take so much time and the last time I had to visit one of my banks to do it. The only option for me is moving to a different platform/device if it comes to that.

I get excited for every update hoping that it'll solve the issue but it hasn't so far; fingers crossed - not for long though - because it's slowly driving me crazy.
G0UDG
Voyager
Options
Yes had it during the beta test still got the stuttering
SteveJ74
First Poster
Options
I'm on the s20 5g and on beta , my phone stutters like crazy, only a restart solves the problem
0 Likes
Trevbil
Journeyman
Options
I see, it's obvious it's mostly a software problem as the Samsung apps work so smoothly that I can only wish the offending apps are as good
0 Likes
João Boccoli
Student
Options

I found the cause of the stuttering on my brand new S21 FE (Android 12 - One UI 4 - Brazilian SKU)! It is related to Always on Display and/or Edge Notifications. If I disable anything that relies on that, refresh rate stays at 120hz as intended. Please fix it on the next patch!

0 Likes