Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Who thinks πŸ€”

(Topic created on: 25-10-2021 01:45 PM)
aaronw
Voyager
Options
I got a suggestion to make for you lot to add to the knew update Why don't you added sim restriction... this will tell you if your phone is unlocked or locked to a carrier network Low light need adjusting as it blur and poor ( s21 ultra ) Screen recording For video recording add the object eraser
0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17
ironass
Samsung Members Star β˜…
Options

No point in that as all U.K. phones sold in the U.K. from December 2021 are not allowed to be locked to a carrier network, (Commonly referred to as, "Carrier locked") and will only operate on a specific carrier's network and require unlocking from it. See...

Locked mobile phones will be banned from sale in the UK from December 2021

https://inews.co.uk/news/technology/locked-mobile-phones-banned-sale-december-2021-uk-738860

This, however, does not affect, "carrier branded", phones that are unlocked but run a carrier's own firmware. Put simply, whilst the phone will be carrier unlocked, (most, if not all phones in the U.K. already are), they can still run a carrier's own version of the manufacturers stock firmware with splash screens and their own apps and settings.

To check if your phone is running, "carrier branded", firmware, apart from seeing splash screens, apps or settings, Samsung use CSC codes, (Country/Carrier Software Code), that dictates the firmware version each device receives. To locate and understand your CSC code, see post #3 of this thread...

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s21-series/latest-one-ui-4-android-12-beta-november-secur...

Hope that helps! πŸ˜

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My device... Galaxy Z Fold5 5G 12/512GB (G946B D/S) CSC EUX. Android 14. One UI 6.1
aaronw
Voyager
Options
I got s21 ultra on 02 for contract in August does this mean the phone unlocked as I thought all new phone are unlocked from 2018 or later I can't remember
0 Likes
ironass
Samsung Members Star β˜…
Options

Your phone is unlocked to run on any network, most U.K. phones already are. However, it will only receive O2 carrier certified firmware which is usually slower than stock Samsung firmware and is not eligible for Beta testing.

My device... Galaxy Z Fold5 5G 12/512GB (G946B D/S) CSC EUX. Android 14. One UI 6.1
aaronw
Voyager
Options
That ***** so how do I get a full unlocked one for the UK
0 Likes
ironass
Samsung Members Star β˜…
Options

Buy from non-carrier retailers such as Samsung, Argos, Carphonewharehouse, Amazon and eBay, (usually check for the last 2), as well as numerous other retailers in the U.K. 

0 Likes
aaronw
Voyager
Options
Which one would you rather go to samsung and buy them or get it on contract
0 Likes
ironass
Samsung Members Star β˜…
Options

I have not purchased a phone through a carrier since the Galaxy S2 and always purchase outright from Samsung directly.

However, as my girlfriend did, you can get non-carrier branded phones on contract via places such as Carphonewarehouse. Always check with the seller that they are providing a non-carrier branded device and not simply a carrier unlocked model.

0 Likes
aaronw
Voyager
Options
Thanks
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star β˜…β˜…
Options

My current device was purchased directly from Samsung, however I have had contract phones in the past.  Whilst buying outright will not be suitable for everyone it  is  possible to  obtain a non carrier branded device from other sellers as @ironass  explains.   However personally generally  I would not be keen on using ebay for  electronic devices when there are other options.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.