Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whatsapp calls stop video playback in all browsers

(Topic created on: 25-10-2022 02:06 AM)
Griffith Black
Apprentice
Options

I have cleared the cache, factory reset the phone... I have used multiple browsers (Samsung Internet, Google, Duck Duck Go) all downloaded from the play store. When I am in a call on WhatsApp I simply cannot watch any videos. After hanging up everything works as normal. I'm guessing there is a glitch in the call permissions stopping all video playback. When trying to start a video during a call, the video will load, I click play, the video jumps 1 frame. if I do this consecutively there is a split second of audio too. Always stopping never playing the video. WhatsApp is surely the culprit. 

22 REPLIES 22
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

i could be wrong here... but is it even possible to be able to play video and have a voip call through whatsapp simultaneously ?  

My intuition says that if you are in a whatsapp call that you shouldn't be able to use the device to also watch a video.   I mean these devices are good for 'multitasking' but surely the request you have will push things too far for the resources of the phone.   

I mean how does the device decide which audio stream to select... or which video to play (if you are on a video call with whatsapp).   I just don't think you can run these in parallel, but perhaps someone else on the forum might have a better response. 

Smiley

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
0 Likes
Griffith Black
Apprentice
Options

I was able to watch videos and simultaneously be in a call previously.. I'm pretty sure every other chat app (ex. Google chat) allows me to do it. this is a new problem. Video calls included. Running Whatsapp in the background during calls and watching videos isn't too much processing power for a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra. In the past whatsapp would only distort audio while watching other content. The YouTube app still works while in video and voice calls in whatsapp. However running videos in browsers ex. Samsung internet  does not work. 

smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
Ok well you certainly have me surprised.

I understand that you can use the WhatsApp text/chat screen and watch YouTube or video in a split screen mode... but to hold a voice call and watch video together is not something I would have used or tried.

Essentially you must be very good at multi tasking to watch video and chat at the same time 🤣

P.s. I also have an S21 ultra for nearly 2 years usage...bought it in Jan21.

My comments are not based upon the processing power... the S21U would easily have enough. It is purely that the audio / video stream needs to be transferred from two apps simultaneously. I can't see that the streams can be simultaneously streamed.

If you use one video source such as netflix and then start another such as disney ... then it will stop the original one playing. One will pause... the other play. You can press play on either and it will pause the other one while the video and audio stream are sent. You can't watch and listen them both at the same time 🤣

I have googled whether it is possible to have a WhatsApp voice or video call whilst watching video and there is not one positive reply. There are many saying that you can text chat in WhatsApp whilst using video.

Smiley.
- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
0 Likes
Griffith Black
Apprentice
Options

haha well my gf lives far away for the time being and we spend virtually all day every day in whatsapp calls together so it is useful to be able to have the full function of my phone while being connected to her switching back and forth between video and voice calls. we may not always be giving each other direct attention but it gives us a sense of always being together even though we are not. now my phone does not function as normal and i have to resort to my old laptop to watch videos while in whatsapp call. Another decent example of why this is completely necessary is if you wanted to send a video to a friend while you are on a call you would need to be able to preview that video before you decide if you want to send it. For me its basic multi task functioning that should definitely work on every modern hand held device. Running Netflix and Hulu at the same time in 2 pop up browsers doesn't make a lot of sense but I bet there are 10,000s that would love that feature.. Thats why i blame phone permissions for this particular problem... Who are they to limit my freedoms and tell me i'm impractical. If the phone is capable unlock the capability and let them perform more closely to the way laptops do

Shek1
First Poster
Options

Hey buddy , i have the same issue , same android device , any news?

Julio Cruz
First Poster
Options

The same issue on Galaxy m22

ikki1999
Student
Options
I have the same problem! I had it before and fixed it by uninstalling WhatsApp and reinstalling. But I tried it this time and it's not working. I'm able to watch netflix, prime and YouTube when on call but not twitter, browser or disney+. Really hope it's fixed soon
Cruizt
First Poster
Options

Yeah, I have the same problems. It was fine before I got the update on Whatsapp. I tried using different call apps, and it's working fine. I believe it's only on Samsung device, because I tried on my other android phone and have no problem with this. Hope they fixed it soon.

ikki1999
Student
Options
Yeah me too! I need to find a new app to use but WhatsApp seems the most reliable
0 Likes