Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE Battery Impact?

(Topic created on: 27-02-2021 02:13 PM)
Mtm1401
Navigator
Options
Has anyone tested battery impact of VoLTE?

I don't get much signal at home so always using WiFi calling, and as such haven't been able to test standby drain with VoLTE Vs without.

In theory VoLTE should improve battery life as the phone doesn't need to connect to 2g/3g to make calls, but seen a few potential issues.

Anyone tested it out in like for like conditions? I.e. leaving the phone overnight
10 REPLIES 10
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
I found VoLTE makes virtually no difference
0 Likes
Mtm1401
Navigator
Options
did you test or it just feels that way?
0 Likes
beefxby
Journeyman
Options

Disabling VoLTE did the trick for me. Battery went from 22h to nearly 2d.

s21 Ultra

0 Likes
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
not I haven't tested it and I have no proof but it does feel to be very similar, I do no that very low signal uses more battery though and WiFi calling saves loads
0 Likes
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
infact just read your post again if your using WiFi calling at home the volte won't impact you, at home it will literally just be an icon it doesn't come into play until you call which will only be when your out if your using WiFi call
0 Likes
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
another thing I am presuming your referring to standby? if your making calls then it will use more as the phone calls are in HD I found calling on WiFi saves about 50% compared to volte and a 2g 3g call saves about 20 ish but the quality is awful
0 Likes
Mtm1401
Navigator
Options
Yea sorry I wasn't clear, I know WiFi calling replaces VoLTE/calling over mobile, my problem is I can't turn off WiFi at home to test it as I have no signal, and when I go out there are so many other factors that could effect battery life, it's hard to know if drain is caused by VoLTE or something else.

Yea it was standby drain I was interested in, I think I'll just leave my phone near a window for a night and see what it's like with/without VoLTE

0 Likes
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
yea to be honest I can't see it effecting standy by drain, in standby all it is is an icon which says volte and the phone knows to use 4G instead of 3G for calling, the only reason they give you the option to turn it off in the first place is incase you have an unreliable 4G network 👍
Yablos
First Poster
Options

Yes it has huge impact in LOW SIGNAL scenario:
- compared 6 years old battery lumia 735 vs 2 months old s10e
- same network, same speed, same low-signal. off:aod,everything, except data
- standby both devices side by side(no call, minimum background activity ~0.4MB transfered)
- 1 signal bar for 4g, 2 bars for edge(fluctuating time to time)

battery drain
s10 volte enabled:
13% per hour
s10 volte disabled:
9% per hour
l735:
4% per hour
airplane mode:
noproblem :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

0 Likes