Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Cellphone display as PC Monitor

(Topic created on: 10-03-2021 02:58 AM)
AuracleTech
Explorer
Options
  1. What : See now we have Samsung DeX to use the phone as a computer on another monitor. Now what I want is use my phone as a monitor for my computer.

2. Why : The cellphone's display is 3200 x 1440 at HDR1500 120hz, this is insane quality, which is good, but I want to use it as monitor when I'm at home. I just sold my 144hz and I'd want to borrow the cellphone's display for a while (Couple months).

3. How : Good question
0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29
AuracleTech
Explorer
Options

Nah Ill wait next phone gens
S22 or sum'

Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Cool. I highly doubt it'll have a screen input option on that phone though.
0 Likes
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

it is impossible, they would need to put a mini hdmi port into the phone or implement thunderbolt into the usb c which is an intel patent so...

Archer
AuracleTech
Explorer
Options

HDMI mini is a thing, and it's 18 GB/s
And USB C is 10 GB/s
It is totally possible don't even dare to say it isn't, if you think it isn't possible you really have a narrow view into the future...

0 Likes
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

Samsung is taking every single port off the device, do you think that they will increase thickness and add a mini hdmi hole on your phone for such a nieche use case?

Also it is not a matter of badwidth but of bus config, you cannot use the usb-c of your phone to directly send data to the screen. You need a micro hdmi for that like sony does on the new xperia device they released which is though to be also used a wiewfinder for their cameras

Archer
0 Likes
AuracleTech
Explorer
Options

It's called innovation.

If you didn't know some years ago, lets say 13 years ago (iPhone 3G) a phone couldn't even download more than some kb/s and had one single bad camera, no finger print sensor, no wireless charge, poor batterie, no dual sim card, CPU 100x less powerful, 100 times less ram, 32 times less storage, no selfie camera, no stereo speakers, no infrared, no NFC, no fast charging, bad color gamut do I need to keep going?

If you think that making a display passthrough via usb-c or the next gen of usb is impossible or way too complex you certainly cannot see far into the future my man.

You have no single clue what phones will do, nether do I, but I don't limit myself to "this is impossible" because it's in fact very easy.

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Actually I had a pocket PC around 16 years ago downloading MBs, which usually had around 16MB to 32MB full SD Cards.
0 Likes
AuracleTech
Explorer
Options

@Joeeye wrote:
Actually I had a pocket PC over 16 years ago downloading MBs, which usually had around 32 to 64MB full SD Cards.

Not a cellphone, and even the 3G was able to pull like 1.5mbps, but still, we're at 1500 now

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
it sure was a cellphone, O2 XDA IIi, can make calls and use the Internet. Look it up. 3.5" capacitive touchscreen with stylus. IPhone was never a revelation in my mind.
0 Likes
AuracleTech
Explorer
Options

Still we're now at an average 128gb-512gb for current phone gen and 1500mbps, very far from the past.

0 Likes