Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Cellphone display as PC Monitor

(Topic created on: 12-03-2021 04:18 PM)
AuracleTech
Explorer
Options
  1. What : See now we have Samsung DeX to use the phone as a computer on another monitor. Now what I want is use my phone as a monitor for my computer.

2. Why : The cellphone's display is 3200 x 1440 at HDR1500 120hz, this is insane quality, which is good, but I want to use it as monitor when I'm at home. I just sold my 144hz and I'd want to borrow the cellphone's display for a while (Couple months).

3. How : Good question
0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I know, mobile phones pushed modems and wireless technology very fast.
0 Likes
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

It is not a problem of innovation. You can direcly send data to your display if you want to use usb-c you need thunderbolt (intel patent only with intel cpus) or use a mini hdmi port.

Amongst all the things that should be added I think that a mini hdmi is not a priority. They removed over the years the jack, the humidity sensors, ir sensors, cardio sensors ect... puttinng a mini hdmi for a use scenario which is so so small while having to removed much more useful ports or sensors would be a nonsense joke.

I can see a use for it maybe of the galaxy tabs but on smartphones that makes no sense to implement, you do not need innovate to put the port but it is just a waste of money and space when you could have put another useful port instead of it.

Your best bet is to buy a portable monitor which at least is bigger than your smartphone display, also if you could attach your pc and use your phone a monitor given the dimensions of the display you would have ants not icons so you will have an unusable experience

Archer
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Ofcourse this isn't meant for me right?
0 Likes
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

Nope for the one who opened the thread

Archer
AuracleTech
Explorer
Options

I said mini HDMI as an example comparison, no need for mini HDMI you're stuck on an example I said.

USB C can perfectly hold this.

And if it's already doable via usb-c with apps it's doable directly with android if someone programs it.

All it takes is nothing more than an android dev adding an option.

I don't need to argue with you, your vision of the future is way too narrow.

0 Likes
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

I am not arguing but I am trying to explain to you that taking data off a phone and streaming to a screen via a cable is possible, however via usb-c it is not possible to do the contrary due to the bus config, the only way to have a passthrough is to use thunderbolt on usb c (proprietary of intel) or use a mini.hdmi port.

It is not a narrow vision but it is how hardware works.

As I said my advice for you is to take a portable monitor because it will serve the purpose you need and you could even use it as an external monitor for your phone. Also keep in mind that even if it were possible for your phone to be the monitor of your pc the screen would be too small to use it

Archer
AuracleTech
Explorer
Options

Small is a perspective.

80 inch tv is small when 5 meters away from me is smaller than my VR headset display next to my eyes.
I wouldn't mind to play with a screen close to my eyes, I already replaced my TV by using my phone in front of me.

0 Likes
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

Ok, you want to keep switching what you are reffering to and at this point I think you are pretending not to understand the clear explanation why you cannot use your phone's screen as a pc screen due to the bus configuration.

I hope you stay safe, bye

Archer
0 Likes
AuracleTech
Explorer
Options

I'm talking about future models, been clear for days I can't do this with the s21.
Future models could do that.
With a new technology, not limited to this bus configuration.
Also you can already use the phone's screen as a pc screen, just not natively.

0 Likes
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

yes they could do that indeed if intel maybe behind a royalte lets those who use a usb.c gen 4 port (which can have thunderbolt built in spec) to use thunderbolt

Archer
0 Likes