Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update process

(Topic created on: 16-02-2021 03:26 AM)
Steve126
Journeyman
Options
Hi, I have seen quite a few posts about an available update (a few updates this month even) but my device is still showing last updated 29th Jan.

I know different carriers seem to add additional delays, but it seems odd that I've not had any updates yet. Once I hit 6 months I can get EE to unlock the phone, would that free me of carrier delays to updates?

Sorry, just coming back over to android after a long time so the update side of things is new to me. Thanks 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Lukeb1
Pioneer
Options
you can unlock your phone carrier (EE) but the software will always come from them as the CSC of the phone doesn't change.

Waiting for updates can be frustrating but Normally the frustration comes from waiting for the manufacturer to release it, atleast if you know they have released it in a few days you will recieve it. it can also be a benefit as the one previous to the latest had issues which were resolved in the latest one and your phone will never get those issues because it was pulled before you recieve it.

also worth noting that most updates (all manufacturers) don't introduce new features and just fix small issues, so it's not worth all the FOMO that we get

View solution in context

23 REPLIES 23
Blessed4life
Black Belt 
Options
Hi because you're on EE it'll take a little while longer before you get the update, EE have to go through it with a fine tooth comb before releasing it to its customers.
TyeDale
Pioneer
Options
I got my s21 ultra though Vodafone, so will also have to wait
danmidd
Voyager
Options
go into the settings and click on software update it should be there

Screenshot_20210216-084419_Settings.jpg

0 Likes
Steve126
Journeyman
Options
yeah doesn't come through yet for me
0 Likes
danmidd
Voyager
Options
hmmm that's weird
0 Likes
Steve126
Journeyman
Options
So appears to be the carrier delay I've read about. Having came from iPhone it is a little annoying, and before that I've used Pixel phones so again had immediate updates.

What I'm not sure in though is whether getting the carrier to unlock the phone then bypasses the need for the carrier to check the update prior (essentially being like bought from Samsung direct).

I just always have to have the latest tech and updates 🤣
0 Likes
danmidd
Voyager
Options
I'm not keen on EE I must admit I got the latest one with Vodafone last week here in the uk , I'm not sure about the unlocking but if your not tied to a provider you would think it would be quicker 😉
Solution
Lukeb1
Pioneer
Options
you can unlock your phone carrier (EE) but the software will always come from them as the CSC of the phone doesn't change.

Waiting for updates can be frustrating but Normally the frustration comes from waiting for the manufacturer to release it, atleast if you know they have released it in a few days you will recieve it. it can also be a benefit as the one previous to the latest had issues which were resolved in the latest one and your phone will never get those issues because it was pulled before you recieve it.

also worth noting that most updates (all manufacturers) don't introduce new features and just fix small issues, so it's not worth all the FOMO that we get
Steve126
Journeyman
Options
thanks for that mate, good point about benefitting from additional bug fixes.

can't help the FOMO haha
0 Likes