Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected factory reset on my S21 Ultra

(Topic created on: 16-06-2022 08:25 PM)
StuartLev
Apprentice
Options
This morning I used my S21 Ultra as normal. I then put it in my pocket and did some tasks. When I removed it from my pocket 20 mins later the device had performed a factory reset and everything had been erased.

Does anyone have any ideas how this could have happened? I have checked my Google security log and there were no suspicious sign-ins or devices which could have triggered a remote wipe via Google's Find My Phone feature.

I can't believe I could have done this accidentally by inadvertently pressing parts of the screen in my pocket!

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
AndrewL
Options

I'm so sorry to hear that, @StuartLev. Were you able to restore your data by re-registering your Samsung and Google accounts? It's unlikely that this was the result of accidental button presses, as the process would involve going to Settings > General Management > Reset > Factory Data Reset > Scroll down > Reset > Delete all. In any case, please head to Settings > Display > Accidental touch protection, and toggle this option on. It is possible to remotely manage the phone via Samsung's Find My Mobile feature, therefore you may wish to change the passwords for both your Google and Samsung accounts for some peace of mind, just in case the reset was performed remotely via a third party. Furthermore, head to Settings > Biometrics and security > Device protection > Scan phone, to check for any malware or suspicious activity. 

StuartLev
Apprentice
Options
Thanks, this is helpful.
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Your last paragraph may be a possibility if the accidental presses were log in attempts because after 15 failed attempts the phone will reset itself.

Do you use a case? In Settings> Lock Screen > Secure Lock Settings, turn Auto factory reset now off to avoid this happening again.
Sandy-1
First Poster
Options

I  just reset my phone to factory setting accidentally for the 3rd time. I just changed the sensitivity to 5 minutes.  What a pain.

0 Likes