Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer files from Windows10 laptop

(Topic created on: 04-11-2021 01:38 PM)
Busby88
Apprentice
Options
Please help a non technical user. I have been using drag and drop to transfer files from Windows to an S8 connected by cable very sucessfully for years. When I try using S21 ultra everything works up to beginning of transfer, struggles in fits and starts transfering some content, then stops with no explanation after a few minutes. Content is a folder and subfolders that in total used to take 10 minutes or so with S8, now estimating 7 hours before failing anyway. Have tried different cables and usb slots on computer, no sucess. Any help gratefully received.
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
illEez
Voyager
Options
I only ever use Samsung Smart Switch, and Flow, as its only Samsung products I own.

I know Samsung has a few options for linking to Microsoft devices such as Link To Windows, and Dex, not sure if these will be what you're after though as I've never used them; they're on the screen top drop down options on my devices.
0 Likes
Busby88
Apprentice
Options
Thank you. I had tried Link to Windows but it does not allow folder transfers so not suitable.
0 Likes
illEez
Voyager
Options
There's a Windows app for moving files from Samsung devices to Windows 10, though file sizes are capped at 512MB

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidauthority.com/amp/samsung-windows-10-file-transfer-1105882/
illEez
Voyager
Options
...here's a Google help sheet, see Option 2 for wired transfers

https://support.google.com/android/answer/9064445?hl=en-GB#zippy=%2Cwindows-computer
0 Likes
Busby88
Apprentice
Options
Thank you again. Option 2 wired transfers is exactly what I have been trying and I do get a connection but as I described originally the transfer just gives up after a few minutes with no indication as to why. The first few folders/files are transferred (say 2% of the total). I have ordered yet another Samsung branded cable but have little hope it will make a difference.
0 Likes
Busby88
Apprentice
Options
....and indeed new cable made no difference, neither did downloading usb drivers v1.7.43.0. Any other ideas??
0 Likes
Busby88
Apprentice
Options
In case anyone is reading this with the same problem I found a workaround. Buy a dual connection memory stick (USB and USB type C). Copy and paste from Windows to memory stick. Put memory stick into phone, items are immediately available but also possible to copy from memory stick to phone internal storage. One folder containing 1,000 items of sub-folder and documents done in just a few minutes. Might have been obvious to others but a revalation to me.