Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 'not so simple' repair process

(Topic created on: 28-09-2021 08:00 PM)
Majorj0nny
Pathfinder
Options
So. Unfortunately my s21 ultra 5g, has been great since I had it in January, now developed a fault where the mobile network signal is none existent or goes to 'no network' frequently. It's annoying. I've tried all sorts even factory reset. It's happening with any sim I try (different carriers) and my original SIM works fine in another phone. 

Anyway. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that it needs to go in for repair. The repair process is not exactly 'straight forward' I've experienced. 

I used to have a walk in Samsung repair place in a near by town, I've taken a galaxy watch there years back, it was simple. Walk in... "This is broke, please help" they help. Fix it.. the end. 

I ideally wanted to take it to a service centre myself, but I spend ages running through all the checks , filling in my details, only for it to say there's a problem and I need to talk to the chat assistance. The chat assistance is basically a bot that you have to go over all the same rubbish again, just to the point of speaking to a human. I really starting to hate chat , for efficiently it's obvious the person you are chatting to is simultaneously dealing with a number of customers. Great fit Samsung, bad for the customer. If you had a face to face it telephone conversation with someone that just kept pausing for several minutes between responses, it would be classed as rude. 

Anyway, chat to the person, they advise I can book a repair and try to offer me the same link to book that caused me problems in the first place that adviced be to come to chat. Ie... Stuck in a loop of automation. Then she offered me an email address of the repair place and said it might be better to email them to arrange the booking.. so I email and it instantly bounces back a unrecognised it some such. So back to chat, this time I'm given a genetic phone number... For something ? I dunno. Anyway, my confidence in my local town repair centre being able to fix my phone was dashed by the realisation that they couldn't keep their email services working, so I've ended up having to do a collection instead. I could have done the amazing doorstep repair ... But that wasn't available for my phone due to parts or something. So I need to give my phone to a dpd driver a week from now (the soonest they could do?) But I shouldn't give it to them if they don't have a box as they could be rogue ? Or criminals ? Or something ? That also fills me will ease . At some point.... Several days (10.. Possibly more) I might get my phone back. 
This was all arranged, but finally I wondered if they actually knew what my phone's problem was supposed to be. She insisted they have the details from when I filled in the diagnosis.. But that was very generic to the point 'signal strength' . 

Perhaps I'm overthinking this all ? Just depressing that I've got to endure a week of a broken phone, then another week of no phone, hopefully to a perfectly working phone ? 
0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
_Jonno
Voyager
Options
Should've read my threads about literally the same thing Samsung support is abysmal.

You will have to endure around 2 weeks maybe more to get it "fixed" they most likely won't be able to fix it anyway, they give you the choice of refund or replacement which will take another week/ week and half maybe longer to get one of those options.
Majorj0nny
Pathfinder
Options
I think of I get that far is probably have a refund and purchase something new rather than have something back someone's been ripping open.
0 Likes
_Jonno
Voyager
Options
Yeah I don't think they'll be able to fix it I don't think they got the parts but they might do. Ideally I think it's best to get the refund but if you can maybe hold on for the s22 since the s21U is nearing its life cycle or maybe the pixel 6?
0 Likes
Rūmøur
Navigator
Options
Did your problem start after a software security update?? A lot of s21 ultra users are facing the same issue.after having a security update.
DianDD
Voyager
Options
Unfortunately that's how it is with this human made pandemic. Shortages of everything in the world while we are short in nothing really......
Majorj0nny
Pathfinder
Options
I'm not sure, I don't tend to notice when they are installed, they just get installed automatically most the time.
0 Likes
haz20
Apprentice
Options
Hi, I had same issues , they repaired work fine until they done the software update now back to same problem, their customer services is terrible
Majorj0nny
Pathfinder
Options
So anyway... That was a messy balls up OBVIOUSLY ! First off , they have collection off to DPD ... Then I get emails saying 'your parcel will be delivered... ' etc... Even though I was having nothing 'delivered' . Technically they 'delivery' an empty box. Then put your phone in it, then take it away. Anyway. I was told collection would be 1st, 2 days before that while I was at work I got a message saying "your delivery will be today between 10 and 11" ! So I had to rush home, format the phone, remover the SIM, try and print out proof of purchase .. Etc.

It came back yesterday. Though prior to collection they were emailing me details, for the return they decided to text me the details.... For the phone... That they had ! With my sim card sitting in a drawer. Genius.

I occasionally plugged the SIM into my son's phone to see if it's had anything .

Anyway, oh, they delivered my £1300 phone to some randomer down the street also. Brilliant.

Fingers crossed. Unfortunately, they'd scratched the phone screen. And ultimately not fixed the fault. Apparently they replaced the charging port, sim tray , and some flexible cable ? Looks like whatever work bench they had it on was convered in particles of smashed screen as the scratched are very fine, mostly on the original screen protector that came with the phone, but slightly (like half a mm) on the case edge... If I ever get to the bottom of this fault, I'll rip off the protector and probably won't notice the micro scratch, but I'm very particular with looking after my phone, it's always in a case and It lives in my pocket most the time so 'was' factory new perfect. I dunno if to bother asking bout it, my word against there's, but obviously some ape has been sliding it around on some nasty workbench. Sigh.

Yeah so all that, plug in my sim and the same problem happens straight away. 😩
0 Likes
tweedle
First Poster
Options

I've got the same issue with my S21 Ultra now. Terrible customer support asking me for my phone number so someone can call me when I explain a dozen times my sim has no signal so I can't receive calls or messages.

I'm currently in a foreign country where I don't speak the local language so trying to get it fixed locally has been frustrating as it doesn't get solved and  I can't easily explain what the issues are.

Samsung support even reccomended that I send my phone from South America back to family in Australia so they can send it to Samsung there to look at is as they can't help me in Colombia. What an absolute joke. As I told them that would takes weeks or months and I need my phone as I'm travelling around and it's essential for many things including my Covid passport.

If anyone found a solution to this problem please let me know as I'm desperate to get my phone fixed!