Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The camera constantly changes the lens used when zooming. (S 21 Ultra)

(Topic created on: 02-04-2021 09:06 PM)
Crue
Apprentice
Options

The camera constantly changes the lens used when zooming. (S 21 Ultra)

Example:
I want to take a picture with my 3x telephoto lens, so I zoom in. As intended, the camera automatically switches to my triple lens.
The camera preview looks great, but the camera automatically switches back to the main lens after half a second and only zooms optically.

This is a BIG problem, because the digitally zoomed images from the main lens look very bad compared to what the triple lens can shoot, which makes the camera and the images completely unusable and unpredictable.

Some of the pictures look worse than the ones of my S9 +. This is very frustrating with a brand new € 1400 device.

IT SHOULD BE POSSIBLE to manually select the lens with which the photo is to be taken.

8 REPLIES 8
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I agree that Samsung should let us use which camera we choose, instead of forcing it on us.
The reason it does is, it thinks it's main camera is better due to the higher megapixels and most importantly its 1.2 aperture which is useful for brighter shots compared to the higher aperture on the other two which would render darker images in not so good lighting.
Crue
Apprentice
Options

Yes, unfortunately that is a wrong assumption by Samsung, because in good lighting conditions the cropped image of the main sensor looks much worse than the optically zoomed x3 / x10 image.
You can sometimes get the phone to use the correct lens for a split second and the resulting images are MUCH better than the cropped ones.

Darkstryder360
Apprentice
Options

This has been bugging me since I bought the phone at launch and I am seriously fed up with it. 

Never had an issue with Samsung phones before, owned an S8 from launch, S10+ from launch too.

This one though, thoroughly unimpressed.  Selling point is this camera, but over a month later its still playing these silly games, ruining moments I want to capture. Have zero faith in this camera right now. 

Pheendog
First Poster
Options

I know I'm a little late here but found that when the camera switches lenses like that, turning off "focus enhancer" made a difference. It doesn't seem to switch anymore for me!

Focus enhancer comes up when it switches, and it's a little icon with some circles on the bottom left of the frame. 

Maybe try turning it off and see if it works for you.

Screenshot_20210915-125108_Camera.jpg

SteffieBirdspert
First Poster
Options

Same thing with Ultra 22 how do I stop it from changing?

0 Likes
Ka7e
Journeyman
Options
I still have this problem it drives me nuts. The main camera looks so much worse zoomed than the 3x telephoto and there's no option to turn off the switching. £1200 for a phone that I can't even choose the Lense on like what
0 Likes
Wadadli
Apprentice
Options

I want to use my phone camera for digiscoping, ie taking pictures with a telescope. As soon as align the scope with one lens, the phone switches to another lens.  Being able to select and fix a lens manually would be a big benefit.

0 Likes
Elon1971
First Poster
Options

I finally found the solution at least for my Samsung ultra 22, solution is by switching to portrait mode 3x zoom lens.

It will stays there. 🙂

0 Likes