Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

TEMPORARY FIX FOR APP CRASHING ISSUE

(Topic created on: 23-03-2021 11:40 AM)
JamesCKelsall
Voyager
Options
EDIT: If you have arrived at this thread from anywhere other than the one titled "PERMANENT FIX FOR APP CRASHES AVAILABLE", you should visit that thread by either going to my profile and to the most recent thread, or by going to this link: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s21-series/permanent-fix-for-app-crashes-available/td-p/3... (ignore the security warning, it is a safe link to a samsung members thread). That thread is being kept up-to-date on the permanent fix.

You should only proceed with the steps below if the permanent fix did not work for you.

ORIGINAL TEXT:

The issue seems to be linked to the android system webview - uninstall the updates to the app and affected apps should work properly.

EDIT: Follow @TanjaArt's advice in the accepted solution - after uninstalling the updates you should disable automatic updates for the app until a permanent fix is released.

Go here (open in play store) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.webview, then press uninstall. After it has finished, press the menu button in the top-right corner, and make sure "enable auto-update" is unticked.

EDIT: A small number of people are reporting that they are unable to uninstall the updates due to the app appearing as disabled, but are still experiencing the problem. Unfortunately I am not aware of any solution to this problem, and if you are affected you may have to wait for Google/Samsung to issue an update.

EDIT: @Westielle has reported that uninstalling chrome (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.chrome) works for those who are unable to uninstall webview.

If Google play displays an available update for these apps but the update is failing, you will not be able to uninstall the updates through Google play. Instead, you should follow the below instructions:
  • Go to settings
  • Press the search button and search for webview.
  • Tap the "android system webview" option.
  • Press the menu button
  • Press uninstall updates
If there is no option to uninstall the webview updates:
  • Return to the search screen
  • Search for chrome
  • Select chrome
  • Press the menu button
  • Press uninstall updates
95 REPLIES 95
Davvy
First Poster
Options

Worked for me too, thnx!

0 Likes
Sarahx35
First Poster
Options
Thank you!!
0 Likes
BlueDragon90
Student
Options

Seems google released an update & everything works fine now

0 Likes
GemB
First Poster
Options
thank you so much! LEGEND
0 Likes
alkmouse23
First Poster
Options

Many thanks. It worked

0 Likes
dp07maso
First Poster
Options

Thank you.  Was a few minutes away from doing a hard reset.  You saved me from a huge headache.

0 Likes
Solution
AntS
Options

Hi all!

Advice we've received:

"Samsung is aware of this phenomenon which may appear on Galaxy devices due to Google Webview issue and this problem was already resolved with the latest app updates of Android System Webview and Chrome, 89.0.4389.105 version."

To update Android System Webview

Settings >Apps > Search Webview > Tab Android System Webview > App details in store > Update.

To update Google Chrome

Settings > Apps > Chrome > App details in store > Update

Please note that If the Update menu is not available, please tap the Enable button to activate app update.

Dedigba
First Poster
Options
@JamesCKelsall Pls am using S21 how do I go about mine. its absolutely frustrating right now
0 Likes
JamesCKelsall
Voyager
Options
I have just updated the main post with additional details - updating the two linked apps should solve the issue. If the first one isn't able to be updated, continue straight on to the second. If the problem remains, follow the instructions under the ORIGINAL TEXT heading
0 Likes
JamesCKelsall
Voyager
Options
There is a permanent fix! See the main post.
0 Likes