Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

TEMPORARY FIX FOR APP CRASHING ISSUE

(Topic created on: 23-03-2021 05:40 AM)
JamesCKelsall
Voyager
Options
EDIT: If you have arrived at this thread from anywhere other than the one titled "PERMANENT FIX FOR APP CRASHES AVAILABLE", you should visit that thread by either going to my profile and to the most recent thread, or by going to this link: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s21-series/permanent-fix-for-app-crashes-available/td-p/3... (ignore the security warning, it is a safe link to a samsung members thread). That thread is being kept up-to-date on the permanent fix.

You should only proceed with the steps below if the permanent fix did not work for you.

ORIGINAL TEXT:

The issue seems to be linked to the android system webview - uninstall the updates to the app and affected apps should work properly.

EDIT: Follow @TanjaArt's advice in the accepted solution - after uninstalling the updates you should disable automatic updates for the app until a permanent fix is released.

Go here (open in play store) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.webview, then press uninstall. After it has finished, press the menu button in the top-right corner, and make sure "enable auto-update" is unticked.

EDIT: A small number of people are reporting that they are unable to uninstall the updates due to the app appearing as disabled, but are still experiencing the problem. Unfortunately I am not aware of any solution to this problem, and if you are affected you may have to wait for Google/Samsung to issue an update.

EDIT: @Westielle has reported that uninstalling chrome (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.chrome) works for those who are unable to uninstall webview.

If Google play displays an available update for these apps but the update is failing, you will not be able to uninstall the updates through Google play. Instead, you should follow the below instructions:
  • Go to settings
  • Press the search button and search for webview.
  • Tap the "android system webview" option.
  • Press the menu button
  • Press uninstall updates
If there is no option to uninstall the webview updates:
  • Return to the search screen
  • Search for chrome
  • Select chrome
  • Press the menu button
  • Press uninstall updates
95 REPLIES 95
saintfighteraqua
First Poster
Options

This seems to be working for me, so far! Thank you!

Options

Thank you so much! Worked for me. I hope they fix it ASAP. 

dave12
Student
Options

Thank you James...uninstalling Webview and disabling  "enable auto-update"  worked.  I can now open Gmail without issue.

much appreciated..i thought i did something  :smiling-face:

Will everyone be notified when it is okay to reinstall and allow updates on this app?

Dave

MelodyK
First Poster
Options

This also worked for me!!! Thank you!!!

JamesCKelsall
Voyager
Options
I would hope that samsung and/or google will issue some form of official statement & notify users when it's sorted, but roughly 8 hours after the issues started they have yet to acknowledge it, so I'm not sure if they will.
0 Likes
l_v
First Poster
Options

This worked for me, thank you!!

0 Likes
JoeRad
First Poster
Options

Thank you!!  Worked for now

0 Likes
woll89
First Poster
Options
thanks for the info banking apps now back up and working
0 Likes
BlueDragon90
Student
Options

the solution only fixed a few apps for me, others are still crashing.

0 Likes
TrojanRick
First Poster
Options

Thank you so much!  Was driving me crazy and looks like it worked!

0 Likes