Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

TEMPORARY FIX FOR APP CRASHING ISSUE

(Topic created on: 22-03-2021 10:33 PM)
JamesCKelsall
Voyager
Options
EDIT: If you have arrived at this thread from anywhere other than the one titled "PERMANENT FIX FOR APP CRASHES AVAILABLE", you should visit that thread by either going to my profile and to the most recent thread, or by going to this link: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s21-series/permanent-fix-for-app-crashes-available/td-p/3... (ignore the security warning, it is a safe link to a samsung members thread). That thread is being kept up-to-date on the permanent fix.

You should only proceed with the steps below if the permanent fix did not work for you.

ORIGINAL TEXT:

The issue seems to be linked to the android system webview - uninstall the updates to the app and affected apps should work properly.

EDIT: Follow @TanjaArt's advice in the accepted solution - after uninstalling the updates you should disable automatic updates for the app until a permanent fix is released.

Go here (open in play store) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.webview, then press uninstall. After it has finished, press the menu button in the top-right corner, and make sure "enable auto-update" is unticked.

EDIT: A small number of people are reporting that they are unable to uninstall the updates due to the app appearing as disabled, but are still experiencing the problem. Unfortunately I am not aware of any solution to this problem, and if you are affected you may have to wait for Google/Samsung to issue an update.

EDIT: @Westielle has reported that uninstalling chrome (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.chrome) works for those who are unable to uninstall webview.

If Google play displays an available update for these apps but the update is failing, you will not be able to uninstall the updates through Google play. Instead, you should follow the below instructions:
  • Go to settings
  • Press the search button and search for webview.
  • Tap the "android system webview" option.
  • Press the menu button
  • Press uninstall updates
If there is no option to uninstall the webview updates:
  • Return to the search screen
  • Search for chrome
  • Select chrome
  • Press the menu button
  • Press uninstall updates
95 REPLIES 95
kyymme
Journeyman
Options
do you think the issue will be sorted on the update
0 Likes
neroodin
Student
Options
thanks that worked for me too
Luis_or
Apprentice
Options
Thanks I just did it on my Note 20 ultra and it started working
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
I went on system webview and clicked on update and it seems to be working ok now. 👍
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I uninstalled it and it's not crashing anymore. Lucky my Note 10+ 5G wasn't crashing so I could read this thread.
19bug72
Apprentice
Options
I just went to the play store and searched and uninstalled it from there.
Riamsu
Journeyman
Options
Seems to temporarily work
kooks4
Student
Options
hi Thank you its worked for me
JamesCKelsall
Voyager
Options
AFAIK samsung members wasn't affected by the issue - presumably it doesn't use webview so it wouldn't have been affected.
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
It was crashing mine, stopped once I uninstalled webview though.