Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching one dual SIM to eSIM prevents dual sim capability

(Topic created on: 14-12-2022 02:32 PM)
Gavo31
Journeyman
Options

I'm using a Samsung S21 in Sweden with Tele2. Previously using dual physical SIM cards. The 2nd operator outside of Nordics. 

When switching the one physical SIM to an eSIM, the phone now only allows one SIM to be active (using the SIM Card Manager). During the loading of the eSIM it forced the other SIM card to switch off. When trying to switch the 2nd physical SIM on again it only allows the 2nd SIM card to be turned on if the other (eSIM) is turned off. So basically only one can be active at one point in time. 

Defeats the whole point of having dual SIM if you want to allow incoming calls/SMS from either operator (one call at a time is understandable). 

I hope someone can help advise if this is a known limitation (Samsung or operator) or whether there is something that can be done to enable a physical SIM and an eSIM to be active simultaneously. Or do I have to revert back to having 2 physical SIM cards?

10 REPLIES 10
ARAVINTHAN
First Poster
Options
V.
0 Likes
Gavo31
Journeyman
Options

Hi Aravinthan, keystroke mistake?

0 Likes
ScottyUK
Navigator
Options
I had two sims. I swapped one to be an esim and it all worked fine for the couple of weeks I had it like that. I then got rid of the second physical sim and have been esim only since. (UK on O2)
0 Likes
Gavo31
Journeyman
Options

Thanks ScottyUK

I expect (hope) this capability must have worked at some time. Unfortunate you are not still using a mix of physical and dual sim to rule out that latest releases haven't removed the capability. Then we could at least pin-point to the operator.

0 Likes
Martinla90
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem with a s21 5g.

0 Likes
Options

TLDR: Did you remove the physical nano sim after switching it to eSim?
I had the same thing.
I was using 2 physical nano sims, 1 personal and 1 work.
Moved personal nano sim over to eSim, only eSim worked. When switching on work nano it switches off eSim (phone now sees 3 sims)
Removed personal physical nano sim as it worked fine via eSim, now both work fine.
It seems you can only use 2 nano sims or 1 nano sim and an eSim.
Leaving both physical nano sims in and trying to use eSim at the same time doesn't seem to work, phone sees 3 sims even though one is not needed anymore.

0 Likes
Gavo31
Journeyman
Options

Hi Dennis

The nano sim card was removed BEFORE activating the eSIM (as per operator instructions). The phone supports dual sim not tri SIM.

Can you share what version of Android you are currently using on your S21 where it allows a physical and eSIM to run simultaneously in active mode (assume you have checked that both sims are active)? 

0 Likes
Options

Hi,

My operator is Vodafone and they have a migration feature to move from simcard to eSim and vice versa in the app. It mentioned to leave the simcard in and remove it after the transfer was complete (so different than your instructions).

My phone is on latest version:

One UI version: 5.0
Android version: 13

0 Likes
Members_9Kz7vYW
First Poster
Options

Hi @Gavo31 ,

I'm having exact same issue on S20.

No issues with same SIMs if I put them in an S22. Also tried inverting the SIMs to see if it was a network / provider issue but no change. So it seems that you cannot have SIM 2 with an eSIM.

Did you find a resolution?

UPDATE

Seems SIM slot 2 and an eSIM occupies the same slot only SIM 1 + eSIM or SIM 1 and SIM 2 configuration can be used

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s21-series/switching-one-dual-sim-to-esim-prevents-dual-s...

0 Likes