Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shockingly bad Battery Life S21 Ultra

(Topic created on: 04-06-2021 02:24 AM)
Members_dofRqre
Journeyman
Options

I pre ordered the S21 Ultra, and initially the battery life was incredible. I could use it for most of the day and still have 40% charge left when going to bed. Now, only a few months later, (without changing habits or apps much at all) my battery drains incredibly fast - something like 50% over 3 1/2 hours. In airplane mode without AOD it drains at a rate of about 2% per hour!

As far as my usage, there are no apps that are draining surprising amounts, and for the most part I am using messaging apps and streaming music - nothing out of the ordinary that I've done on previous phones which never had battery issues like this. I exclusively use dark mode, I tried disabling the always on display (although this made little to no difference). What could be the cause? I've done some searching online but haven't found there to be a big issue. Could I maybe just have a bad battery that needs to be replaced?

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19
strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options

@Members_dofRqre 

here are some tips

- disable WiFi, mobile data or location if not in use

- put unused apps to sleep | Settings → Device Care → Battery

- uninstall/disable unwanted apps | settings → apps

- optimise the phone always

pinch the homescreen → widgets → device care → drag the icon to homescreen → tap the icon to optimise

- always close apps → tap recent button → tap clear all

- or enable power saving mode in settings → device care → battery

let us know if there are some changes ☺ 

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Please post your battery stats. Settings, device and battery care, battery, tap on the graph and post a screenshot of your battery usage.
0 Likes
Members_dofRqre
Journeyman
Options

Frankly, for a phone of this price, I really expect to have to make no compromises when it comes to battery life - especially this early on in its life. However, I have been following most of these tips anyway, although I have never manually optimised the phone. The daily setting was set to a time where I am pretty much always using it. I just did the manual option as you described, and it cleared 1.4gb (wow) of memory, despite having been restarted about an hour prior. Shouldn't a restart of the phone not optimise it as it starts? I'll see if this improves the battery performance, however. Thanks for your suggestion

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

In addition to what's been already said can you place the phone in Safe Mode and then see what happens @Members_dofRqre 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
AzadRobertson
Pathfinder
Options
I would try to get a new battery I have the a20e which can last about 2-3 days before a recharge so the s21 ultra must have a better battery. Either that or its battery reader could be faulty.
Have you dropped your phone much? Or over heated it? Or overcharged it?
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I would try a 'wipe cache' just to eliminate any rogue app or update which may have caused your battery issues.
adamlee
Big Cheese
Options
Do you notice the drain is worse when walking with phone in pocket? And also notice the drain is worse since May update? I'm having same issue.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/cameraservice_worker-partial-wakelock.4234161/ this could be keeping phone awake. Worth a look. My battery has been terrible. But Samsung said loosing 21% in 7hours is normal 🤣🤣🤣Screenshot_20210601-173815_Device care.jpgScreenshot_20210603-072029_GSam Battery Monitor.jpgScreenshot_20210601-181608_GSam Battery Monitor.jpg
Pjc21
Navigator
Options
It is a bit of a joke now isn't it.

I have same experience as yourself, it could have been a great phone but the updates let it down again and again. I have been with samsung since the s7 edge, s9 plus and have samsung home appliances also.. but at this point I'm starting to think this may be the last samsung phone I buy unless they turn things around.
Tis a shame but there you go 🤷
Members_dofRqre
Journeyman
Options

Here's my battery usage AFTER trying the optimise as strawberry cake listed, and I also uninstalled an app that was taking up a lot of charge, which has definitely improved things but is still a lot less than what I've been used to (on one day I used 183% charge!). I of course expect battery life to slowly deplete over the course of the phone's life, and as it stands the charge got me reasonably well through the day, however when it was fresh out of the box (only a couple of months ago), I was looking at 30-40% remaining charge even after having used it more. However, this has already been a considerable improvement to what has been happening over the last week or two, so thanks to everyone for their comments so far. I'm curious to see what you think of today's use and if it alligns to what you'd expect the battery drain to be like or not.

photo_2021-06-06_04-08-41.jpg