Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shockingly bad Battery Life S21 Ultra

(Topic created on: 06-06-2021 10:02 AM)
Members_dofRqre
Journeyman
Options

I pre ordered the S21 Ultra, and initially the battery life was incredible. I could use it for most of the day and still have 40% charge left when going to bed. Now, only a few months later, (without changing habits or apps much at all) my battery drains incredibly fast - something like 50% over 3 1/2 hours. In airplane mode without AOD it drains at a rate of about 2% per hour!

As far as my usage, there are no apps that are draining surprising amounts, and for the most part I am using messaging apps and streaming music - nothing out of the ordinary that I've done on previous phones which never had battery issues like this. I exclusively use dark mode, I tried disabling the always on display (although this made little to no difference). What could be the cause? I've done some searching online but haven't found there to be a big issue. Could I maybe just have a bad battery that needs to be replaced?

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19
Members_dofRqre
Journeyman
Options

Safe mode, and then what? To see what the battery drain is like in that state? How long should I try that for?

0 Likes
Members_dofRqre
Journeyman
Options

That's a no to all of them. In fact, I've generally had good battery practice with my previous phones but I've been the best with this one so far - especially this early on in its life. I haven't noticed an unusual heat (my note 9 was very bad in that regard) and I certainly haven't dropped it often, and never from a large height. Of course, even a small unlucky bump can cause a lot of damage, but I have been using a case to keep it protected as well as I can

0 Likes
Members_dofRqre
Journeyman
Options

Yeah, interestingly enough the battery drain seems to be at the same rate regardless of me using the phone or not. Yesterday (the day before my posted stats), I went to the barbers and used my phone for about 30 minutes whilst getting there. That took it from roughly 100 to 88%, and whilst waiting/getting my hair cut (about 45 minutes) it went down another 9 or 10%. So a near identical loss despite just being idle in my pocket.

AzadRobertson
Pathfinder
Options
My phones battery
(In running the a20e)
Lasts me a day and I got it at Christmas I'm really bad with charge in the sense that I have to have it at 100 percent all the time. My phone can still easily last a day or two without a refill of charge. And this phone is the middle class 2019 samsung. So the other phones should be better
0 Likes
AzadRobertson
Pathfinder
Options
Guy. I would check out. Accubattery
It's a good application which shows battery health charge time and your draining time. It shows scales to show when it got to a certain percent and you charged and most importantly how long it will take to go flat
0 Likes
adamlee
Big Cheese
Options
They might have fixed in the new update AUF2 but it's not rolled out worldwide yet. They released AUE8 last week with June patch to 2 countries then it stopped... so AUF2 is the 2nd June patch which is what I'm guessing the UK will get. 🤞 Over on xda one user with the update said it's the best update yet. Phone runs cooler and battery has improved. Screenshot_20210606-100157_Samsung Internet_883.jpg
adamlee
Big Cheese
Options
Use galaxy labs and thermal guardian. Mine detected Google photos was using at high CPU usage so I uninstalled, that's why it's not showing under screenshot but caused phone to heat up.Screenshot_20210606-100257_Thermal Guardian.jpgScreenshot_20210606-100237_Galaxy Labs.jpg
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Hmm you are encountering something lots have issues with, namely social media apps causing excessive battery drain.
The issue is these are apps aren't fully compatible with Android 11. As you can see 40% is used by these apps. Until the developers make their apps compatible with Android 11, this will continue. You would have expected them to have addressed this problem by now as Android 11 is hardly new. In fact Beta versions of 12 should start rolling out soon so goodness knows what will happen.

I also see you use Chrome which is also a known battery hog.

All in all your phone is fine, the apps are the issue. If you Google "battery drain" for these apps you will find you are not alone.
I wish I could offer a solution but this is beyond anything you can do.
0 Likes
Elvbp
First Poster
Options

I was super happy with my battery but after the May update I also saw that the performance dropped significantly, it fell down, it discharges faster, so I attribute it to the update, something they did that ruined the performance

0 Likes
Pat16
Journeyman
Options

Mine is only 3 months old, battery in total lasts about an hour. Ide charge it to full battery and sometimes it would just suddenly die at ant percentage. Usually when I'm on a call, or just sitting down to email someone. Like, it would be ok for said hour, but as soon as I pick it up it dies. Moron at Verizon keeps insisting on just buying a new one, when I just spent a crazy amount on this one. Kinda think they make em this way on purpose 

0 Likes