Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen Brightness keeps staying very dim even in bright sunshine

(Topic created on: 06-02-2021 12:04 PM)
FK1983
Pathfinder
Options
The brightness of the screen on my S21 Ultra can be amazing and really bright in sunshine but it totally randomly goes very dim even in bright sunlight.

I've tried auto and manual brightness but no luck as right now I'm typing this in bright sunlight and the screen feels like it's less than half brightness 🔆 

About 10 minutes ago the screen was really bright and amazing. 

Does anyone know what is causing this problem or if anyone else has the same issue or a way to fix it or reset the brightness settings? 

Thanks 

Fisky
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
You can try to reset your adaptive brightness data

Go to settings > apps > search for device health services > Storage (for the app) > Manage storage > reset adaptive brightness data

Hope this helps
FK1983
Pathfinder
Options
Thanks 😁
I'll try that now

Update..
That seems to have fixed it but any repeat problem I will post back, thanks 😁
Fisky
0 Likes
Mariush
Student
Options

Have you ever experienced that again?

Not 100% sure, but I believe it happened to me as well. This is one of the reasons  I got rid my s20 last year. If this fix reaolves it, that would be great 

0 Likes
FK1983
Pathfinder
Options
Yeah it's happened a few times and I have to reset it like R7R said in an earlier post, not sure why it happens 🤔
Fisky
0 Likes
Members_LlymHDU
First Poster
Options

Anyone know of a way to force this brightness? (Not root)

An app would be great, but any suggestions are welcome

Gachot
Apprentice
Options

I have the same problem on my S21 and reseting adaptive brightness settings didn't help.

This happens very often on my phone and I am super annoyed by this.

Sometimes I can barely read something on bright sunlight and have to go to a shade to be able to use my phone.

Mariush
Student
Options

Do you have the latest updates and has your phone completed the initial learning your usage patterns?

Mine did this dimming only once and has been perfect ever since.

0 Likes
Gachot
Apprentice
Options

Of course. All updates are up to date.

I think that dimming appears when the phone temperature goes high. As soon as the phone cools down the brightness comes back. I have to check this to be sure. I tried to restart my phone during low brightness and it was dimmed until icons appeared on the home screen. At that point brightness was at full and just few seconds later it went dim again. So obviously software for some reason is dimming the phone.

I had S10 before, same applications, same usage patterns and so on, never had that problem. Upgrade to a S21 appears to me at this point as huge downgrade! Camera is much slower, I can feel the lag in some app switching and so on... It is faster in some other things, but generally feels worse... And then I have this dimming problem and I feel like I should throw it in the garbage. Hopefully, updates will maybe solve this problems. 

Mariush
Student
Options

Yes, this definitely happens when the phone gets warm. For how long do you have it?

0 Likes