Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung T7 Touch

(Topic created on: 03-05-2021 10:09 PM)
stevejd2000
Journeyman
Options
It appears the reason that I can't back my S21 up to this SSD is that it is not compatible, I mean how stupid is that, a product made by Samsung not compatible with another made by the same company. How can the simple transfer of data be so different that an expensive SSD cannot accept it.
0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
It is compatible with android devices and is advertised as such "Samsung's T7 Touch is compatible with PC, Mac, Android devices, gaming consoles, and more.", as are all HDDs and SSDs.
If you're having an issue with file transfers then the issue lies elsewhere.
Does it show up as a storage option or usb device when you plug it directly into your s21?

I can see that it has a fingerprint lock, if its anything like Windows Bitlocker encryption, it requires the device its plugged into to support the software to decrypt the drive. It could be that the software for the fingerprint scanner just isn't compatible with mobile devices. This is common for drives that require the device to do the deception/encryption rather than built in hardware encryption within the drive itself.
0 Likes
stevejd2000
Journeyman
Options
I downloaded the designated app, set up the encryption, password and fingerprint lock, all as specified in the user manual. It advised the SSD had 456 gb of free space. I attempted to use Smartswitch to create a backup and when I selected the files which amounted to less than 10 gb I received a message saying that the was insufficient space on the drive and to lose 9.5gb. Contacted Samsung and they advised that if my phone is not on the list, it is not Compatible, the compatibility list was written prior to the S21 coming out so I don't understand but that is their final answer, they were no help
0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
Does it show up as a storage option or usb device when you plug it directly into your s21?
If yes, try and copy a file to it, or from it. A small one, like a picture.
0 Likes
stevejd2000
Journeyman
Options
I have got this message, the instructions say if I format the drive I'll lose the security and encryption

Screenshot_20210503-224039_Settings.jpg

0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
Yes, so do it. Backup whatever files you have on there first. Then format it on your phone. Then you can copy the files back. The encryption can be added back too.
The fact that your phone recognises the drive and prompts you to do a format indicates that the drive is compatible with your phone.
stevejd2000
Journeyman
Options
Hi thanks for your help, format and backup successful. Only issue, even though I safely unmount the drive, I still get an error message saying the drive was removed unsafe and I have to restart the phone
0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
That's strange, especially since ejecting without unmounting would only have an effect on the drive, not the phone. Does it force you to restart the phone, or is it just asking? And is this happening everytime or has this only happened once?
0 Likes
stevejd2000
Journeyman
Options
Everytime I do it, it is only asking not forcing
0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
Try closing all background apps before unmounting the drive, that way there should be no more apps trying to access the drive. And double check by opening the Files app, that the SSD has indeed been unmounted and no longer shows up.
All in all tho, more of an inconvenience to solve, the functionality is there now.