Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S21 Series - INSANE Battery Optimization in 1 STEP!

(Topic created on: 17-03-2022 09:02 AM)
VST007
Pathfinder
Options

Hi folks!

With latest update to Android 12 and OneUi 4 Samsung introduced a new feature in developer options called "Suspend execution for cached apps". This option should freeze apps when cached and unfreeze them once removed from the cache or killed. Frozen apps will not use any CPU cycles, reducing power consumption for misbehaving processes which might attempt to run while cached.

When this is enabled you should be able to fix the battery drain and drastically improve the SOT - Screen on Time of your phone - so let`s check it!

Reddit link https://bit.ly/3IoS6KX

Test please and share your results as well!

6 REPLIES 6
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I personally wouldn't mess with developer settings.

As it is people are having issues with Android 12 .

For me I have found keeping all settings on adaptive or auto gives the best battery life as the phone learns your usage patterns.
0 Likes
andykod77
Navigator
Options
Is this really a thing then ? It's intended purpose? I'm a bit reluctant to mess with it till I know exactly what it does
0 Likes
VST007
Pathfinder
Options

Hi Andy,

honestly I was hoping to get better improvement but it seems that it is very much linked to the usage pattern of the user - with my usage I am still getting a very good consistent SoT - somewhere between 4.30 hours with super heavy to 6.30 hours with normal usage.

0 Likes
andykod77
Navigator
Options
Well I use my s21 from 85% to 20 and I always seem to hit around the 5 hrs sot mark so I'll just leave it as is thanks
JasonCTY
First Poster
Options

95% android apps think they are so important that they need to run in the background. For example, that google maps wants to track your location everywhere you go, even when you switch off tracking. If you install the FB app and instagram app, you lose like 5% of your cpu capacity (just a random number) because those apps will restart and track you even when you force close them (which apps you use, what games you play, how long you play them, which sites you browse, which browsers you use, which bank apps you have installed, the list of apps you have installed, which new apps you install, etc). This is why if you leave your android phone running overnight while you sleep, the phone battery drops many percentages even if you don't use it. You don't use it, but all the cached apps will still be running and using up battery while they track and run analytics on you.

So this option allows you android what apple does: prevent apps in the background from running. It does not intefere with the notification system, unlike the sleep option. Basically, it's deep sleep without any deep sleep drawbacks. You sleep through the night with a couple of percentage drops in battery.

The only drawback is for app developers, and those people tracking every bit of your behaviour as you use the phone. Their app running in the background can no longer monitor your behaviour and send reports back to their mothership.

With this, you can basically switch off the sleep/deep sleep function. Greenify and hiberation will be put to the pasture. It's ok to have as many apps in the background as possible, but they just stay in memory and don't use any CPU cycles. When you have sleep/deep sleep on, those cached apps can't run, and the system will judge that those apps are inactive, and may purge them from memory. In fact, people who are having problems with this probably run hiberation/sleep/deep sleep options with it, which is a bad idea.

0 Likes
andykod77
Navigator
Options
I only drop at most 5% battery thru the night whilst I sleep so that's not really a problem for me
0 Likes