Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S21 Screen Fragile -- Cracks Way Too Easily

(Topic created on: 09-05-2021 05:27 PM)
mgilpatrick
First Poster
Options

My new Samsung S21's screen is way too fragile. I have had Android smart phones for 12 years, I bought my first one the month they were first released. I have never had a cracked screen before. And my phone is less than 2 months old (I bought it on March 13). I have a screen protector on it and keep it in an Otterbox. This crack started in mid-April  and month after I bought it. The crack was so tiny - less than an 1/8 of and inch - I thought it was a scratch on my screen protector at first.  It took two more weeks for me to realize that the screen had cracked. Now the crack stretches across my screen and my phone is doing weird things like dropping calls.  I should not have to replace the screen an eight-week-old phone. Samsung should do a recall and replace all S21 screens with a stronger screen for free.

46 REPLIES 46
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
I agree that the screen are more prone to cracking, but the issue is due to the increasing hardness of the gorilla glass. It becomes more resistant to scratches, but also more brittle and cracks easier.
Personally i don't like the trade-off, i would much prefer a screen thats easily scratched but more resistant to cracking, as you can simply use a screen protector to protect against scratches.
Nowadays you don't need screen protectors anymore unless you're really abusing your screens, keeping them in pockets full of coins or keys, using it on a jobsite etc...and even then its not deep scratches, its more of abrasions.
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@mgilpatrick 

Have you spoken to the supplier of the phone and or Samsung Support ?

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Risky24
Helping Hand
Options
Did the phone just crack on its own or was it dropped? If it's the former then that's definitely a problem but if it's the latter it would not make sense for a company to fix something for free which was damaged by the user.
I have the S21 Ultra and so far I have no problems in regards to durability of the glass but I do still have the factory fitted screen protector on and never dropped it (yet🤞).
0 Likes
TAMERA0415
Apprentice
Options

I agree. I've had a Samsung Galaxy S8 for YEARS with numerous drops, I mean hard core drops and have never had an issue with screen & case protection. My S21 dropped from my desk  to the RUG with a case & screen protector. Nothing happened immediately, it worked fine for over a week  and now something is  wrong with the screen. It does not show any cracks but the screen flickers like a strobe light and has a small black line of pixels out at the top. It looks like a screen/led issue. I'm so upset. T Mobile said they did not have a repair shop near me so I mailed it in to Samsung. 

I'm now waiting to see what the cost will be. I may go back to an older model, this really scares me to have a phone less than 3 months and have so many issues with it. 

WelshPaul
Troubleshooter
Options

Glass is glass folks...

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung iPhone user.

Current Devices:
  • iPhone 14 Pro 256GB Deep Purple
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds+ > Model: SM-R175.
0 Likes
TAMERA0415
Apprentice
Options

Of course, but there's a clear difference in the S21.  

0 Likes
Hanson
Apprentice
Options

I received my phone June 28. It is less than 2 months and screen cracked  exactly at middle after a slight drop from a sitting chair  arm to a laminated wood floor. I have had many other phones and dropped them but never did they break that easily. The phone was in a case too. This may be a recall issue for this s21 ultra. Samsung please investigate. I will be calling support.

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Would you let us know how you fair with calling support @Hanson  please  ?

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
TAMERA0415
Apprentice
Options

Please keep us posted. I'm patiently waiting to see what support tells me. This mail in option is super convenient, but I'm anxiously waiting for some type of response. PRAYING to get some answers and a repaired screen. But again, the fragility of this model really makes me nervous. I'll have to make a decision once I see what support says the cause was.    

S21  5G Pink

0 Likes