Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung s21 galaxy ultra battery drain?

(Topic created on: 07-08-2021 10:14 PM)
Dikarvou
First Poster
Options

Hello guys

I am using my s21 ultra for two months now. I am not very happy with battery life. I don't use 5g. I got 16 apps on deep sleep mode and rest 4 on sleep mode. I have 120hz on and wqhd+ screen. I do love dark mode and screen brightness is on auto! I don't tend to charge my phone over 80 often to maintain buttery health. But the battery health is terrible! I am posting some pics. I would love to tell me what you think. Is this normal?

Screenshot_20210807-225921_AccuBattery.jpg

Screenshot_20210807-225816_Device care.jpg

Screenshot_20210807-225806_Device care.jpg

  

Screenshot_20210807-225754_Device care.jpg

Screenshot_20210807-225743_Device care.jpg

Screenshot_20210807-230354_Device care.jpg

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
Solution
Slizzered
Navigator
Options
Aside from TikTok, Chrome and Snapchat being notorious battery hogs, the type of signal you use could also have a big difference.

Look at these 2 screenshots, the first one is 40% drain from using mobile data with a poor signal all day, only 1 hour 40 SOT. The second one is 48% drain with WiFi on all day, same usage, screen on WQHD+ (I even had it on FHD+ before) and Bluetooth on etc, and will probably get 5 hours SOT in 50%.

I notice that at one point your SOT was 48 minutes but your battery only drained 6%, was you using WiFi here or doing anything different?
Screenshot_20210806-184123_Device care_313.jpgScreenshot_20210807-220045_AccuBattery.jpg
0 Likes
Dikarvou
First Poster
Options

Most of time I use wifi. Rarely I use mobile data. With mobile data I always afraid about huge battery drain!!! 

It seems that this phone have a horrible battery life.  I understand that Chrome,snapchat  and tiktok are heavy drainer apps but still.... I usually got around 5 -7 hours SOT. With GPS and data on.... it's nightmare!!

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Usually got around 5-7 hours SOT on what? If it was a previous device running Android 10, this is the reason. Most social media apps are not fully compatible with Android 11.
0 Likes
Dikarvou
First Poster
Options

I tend to use emails a lot like BlueMail. And live chat with clients on tawkto, a lot of chrome for browsing!! 

I use snapchat after work, same with tiktok. Facebook and Instagram very rarely! And that's all! No Bluetooth, no GPS!

0 Likes
Slizzered
Navigator
Options
Yeah, that doesn't seem right. According to Accubattery, what is your deep sleep percentage? It should be 85%< ideally otherwise you have some pretty active apps in the background.

From what I've read, Chrome is actually one of the most unoptimised apps you can use, and it's clear here since it's taking up nearly 20% of your entire battery life, which is crazy! Try Samsung Browser.

You shouldn't have to optmise the phone any further than you have, I was doing this when I was having battery issues, and then I decided to put all the draining settings back on because ultimately I should be able to use all the features in a phone I paid nearly £1200.

But like I said before, you're definitely certain you wasnt doing anything different when you had the 6% drain with 49 minutes SOT? - that would equal 8 minutes per 1% loss, leaving you with 13hours + SOT at that rate. That is a lot more reasonable in terms of battery life.

0 Likes
Dikarvou
First Poster
Options

Sadly accu doesn't work! It still says waiting for measurements! 🤪

I saw some posts here with ppl claiming 24 h battery life! Is that even possible with this device with most features enabled?? 

But you are absolutely right. 20% is crazy! Do you think aod is draining a lot? 

0 Likes
Slizzered
Navigator
Options
I wouldn't pay too much notice to it anyway, it's great for charge/discharge stats but estimates are always way off until you've charged it maybe 5-10 times.

It's definitely possible yeah, with average use. I could possibly get 24 hours battery life (not SOT btw) if I use WiFi all day and I have many features enabled. I've seen people get something crazy like 2 - 3 days battery life with light usage.

AOD would drain a bit yeah, it would show up on your battery stats however so it obviously isn't the worst offender, that appears to be Chrome
0 Likes
Tay123
First Poster
Options

I got my S21 (regular $800) yesterday. Last night it showed 10 hour battery life estimated after I charged it all the way up and shut it down for the night. At 9am this morning I turned it on and it showed 18 hrs, 5 minutes like my old s9+ battery life. I been using it since and right now it's 6:06pm and the battery is at 67%. I haven't charged it since last night.

I read last night about others having the same issue as you so that made me worry that I spent $440 (I traded My s9+ for $440) and so I was panicking all night.

Well at least that how it is now its lasting over a day.

I am not a heavy user as most people. I wasn't even a heavy user with the s9+. I didn't even downloaded any games. I disabled unused or junk apps, deleted all the pre-installed apps (most of them that's junk), dark mode on, most notifications I don't use turned off, no social media (yet), fitbit app installed and hooked up to my fitbit versa 2 watch, myphonak app installed for my hearing aid, etc.

So I been watching YouTube videos for the past hour started with 78% and now 67%.

My suggestion to the new samsung galaxy s21, s21+, s21 ultra just wait at least 1 week so the phone can recognize the battery usage and turn off or disable apps that you don't use. Put some apps to sleep or deep sleep so they don't use up battery (recommend all apps except the phone call app and texting), dark mode on, 30 sec auto sleep, adaptive brightness on, etc.

If any new samsung galaxy s21, s21 +, s21 ultra and having issues with battery life within the return period (for me Verizon gave me a 15 day return started yesterday) and you tried everything online says and nothing had worked

Go to the carrier or store where you brought the phone and tell them about the battery issue. They might can either replace the phone for a replacement one or tell you what you can do further.

My recommendation for new samsung galaxy s21, s21 +, s21 ultra is buy the phone either at a phone carrier like Verizon, t mobile, sprint, etc as they can always help you troubleshoot the battery or replace it within the return period or in my case while I am making monthly payments for 24 moths at Verizon they can replace the phone and give you a refurbished phone.

If new users don't want to go to carriers my recommendation is to  go to a best buy store (not walmart) and make sure to get the 1-2 year geek squad protection plan so that if there's a issue like the battery the geek squad is the best way to get immediate help because walmart or target or amazon won't have a clue what to do.

My highly recommendation before you go to carriers or stores keep the phone for in my case up to 15 days and make the phone go dead and charge back up to recalibrate the battery at least 2-4 times and see if that helps.

when i got the phone at verizon it had 25% so i made it go dead and charge back up and i am not using it alot so i can get 20 hours no problem but i am going to fully drain it again and recharge it to get the estimated time fixed as it is displaying the wrong time.

So far I am happy with this and managed to get it to work

Hope this helps you or new users

0 Likes