Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S21 family

(Topic created on: 24-02-2021 08:25 PM)
Ravan_Caw
Explorer
Options
Why did Samsung take away the micro sd just one of the best features.
11 REPLIES 11
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
I fell out with SD cards Ravan when my last one corrupted losing me lots of my wedding photographs. I don't have a laptop and my card was not copied or backed up and I lost all my pictures and memories. My fault I know but for me 512Gb ROM makes the card obsolete anyway. True this amount of storage is not cheap but it's read and write speeds are lightning fast so I will not mourn the SD cards passing from Samsung flagships but I respect those who do. 👍
0 Likes
sudheerk
Pioneer
Options
companies following Apple and Google in terms of fixed & limited memory aspects. Also companies claim having SD card is less secure when your phone gets into other hands
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Technology is moving forward and cloud is the way to go, whether you like it or not.
Thanks to cloud you don't have to worry of loosing your contacts, pictures etc, also frees up space on your phone PC for other things, not to mention easily accessible any where in the world.
And catch the thief when he decides to take a photo of himself and it ends in your cloud.
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
because they now use UFS 3.1 storage and if you use a lower grade memory card that can't handle the new speeds it can slow down loading times and invariably everyone is going to blame samsung, it's easier to just leave it out.
0 Likes
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
You could get a USB-C flash drive. Lots are set up for Android use, I've got a (SanDisk Ultra 128 GB Dual Type-C USB 3.1 Flash Drive), the benefit over MicroSD's being you're able to transfer faster and you can use either USB type C or A to transfer to a computer. Amazon are claiming the RRP was £58 haha as if, you can get it for around £17-19 most places including Amazon. You could then use that intermittently to backup your files to avoid going down the cloud storage route. But cloud storage is generally good, cheap and in the case of you having Amazon Prime free through Amazon Photos. They're actually giving £7 Amazon vouchers right now to Prime members to download it and use it.
0 Likes
Ravan_Caw
Explorer
Options
I see. I have mine on the sd card but it also automatically backs up on the cloud so I do have a back up.
But for things like music or just space sd cards all the way.

Plus I use it to transfer data to other equipment.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
0 Likes
Ravan_Caw
Explorer
Options
But at a cost £££
yes everything is going cloud and subscription based.
0 Likes
Ravan_Caw
Explorer
Options
yes I have flash drives but what I'm saying is to be able to install a sd card to explain your memory inside the phone must be much better then carrying a flash drive or some external hard drive around.
Also cloud based storage also comes as a cost.
I would much prefer a SD card slot over the other alternatives.
I can then back up as and when I need to and less often.
0 Likes
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
Why would you need to carry it around? That's just being silly. Just upload your files and photos at the end of the day when you get back home. Or every week. I would do it every 2 weeks or so but I'm just a risk taker, the cool laid back type 😎 I am a smooth operator, it's right next to my name. I don't bother anymore with USB-C pen drives or MicroSD cards. Once a year maybe I'll download my photos and files from cloud storage to my laptops internal storage then transfer it all over to my super speedy external SSD drive and if I can be bothered do the same with HDD drive that's 20x slower probably but higher capacity.

Doing everything I do is unnessessary but just using an external USB-C pen drive would take up no real time if you did it regularly, just attach it and while it uploads go about your business. It's more hassle than an MicroSD yeah, but so slightly that I'd barely factor it into a decision now if choosing one device to another.

What's even less hassle than microSD's? Cloud storage. I'm so much happier without all the drives and memory cards I used to have cluttering my storage. However I still keep 2 bigger external drives, one SSD, one HDD, for offline storage just incase the internet collapses and we all descend into mass chaos and cannibalism filters through society at large.

That or the cloud storage company suddenly hiked prices, became unreliable or privacy issues became something I cared about, then I would have no issues as its all back up offline.
0 Likes