Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra - Terrible Battery Life compared to a S10+

(Topic created on: 31-01-2021 08:23 PM)
GeorgeNikolov
Apprentice
Options

I am hoping to see someone else is in the same boat as me. I received my Galaxy S21 Ultra as a pre-order.

Received the pro buds as well.

Both of these have both impressed and disappointed me at the same time.

The phone - battery life is just awful. I mean I cannot get through the day on a single charge and I am not even using it for work (which is why i got it because of the camera).

The headphones - they just fall out my ears with all 3 of the replacement tips. It just does not matter what I do and how I place them. Too big!

Can someone from Samsung reply to my post and explain to me why is the battery so bad! Please do not give me the whole adaptive battery thing about learning my patterns etc. It has been 4 days! Its your flagship phone and its performing so so bad! I alwayas have Samsung phones but this one is just disappointing at the moment. I am even considering selling the buds or returning all of it back! 

18 REPLIES 18
jaro76
Navigator
Options
i dont know what to say. im on my second cycle, and got 8 hours 13 minutes screen on time with my exynos s21 ultra with 21% left when i plugged it in. i dropped the res down to full hd+ put some apps to sleep, removed bloat, applied system dark mode. normal usage..bit of youtube, web, setup apps, emails, recording video, taking pics. usual stuff.
0 Likes
John19691969
Hotshot
Options
I've had this phone 5 days and not happy it gets so hot in normal google search use no games and watching videos and I mean hot hot ( fry an egg hot ) hot warning message and can't charge , apps close down I've decided to send back only had 5 days ..got to decided get a replacement or refund and go back to my samsung S10 5g that never had a problem from the start so disappointed with samsung , now I could of been unlucky but seen lots of people on other sites saying same thing
0 Likes
j123456789
Pathfinder
Options

Also coming from s10+ which is a great phone in comparison with s21 ultra 16g. The battery is just terrible, for the past 5 days I got 4 - 7.5 hours  sot.

0 Likes
VinnyVegas777
Journeyman
Options

I was considering preordering the S21 Ultra after returning my Note 20 Ultra a couple weeks ago for the same issues, and I am sure glad I didn't. I returned my Note 20 Ultra specifically for:

- Terrible battery life

- Constant overheating

- Mediocre camera with grainy/noisy photos and video

I am reading all these issues remain in the S21 Ultra. Looks like I will stick with my LG V60.

0 Likes
ironass
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra Exynos. Running the latest stock, non carrier branded firmware for CSC code BTU, AUAC

Battery life is improving after each charge. Phone was set up from scratch without Smart Switch. No adaptive battery. Always on display seems very heavy on the battery and I am switching to,  "Tap to see", instead.

Battery life shows 7 hours SoT, (Screen on Time), with 31 hours since last charge. 

Battery 2_Device care.png

Battery temp whilst charging is shown in DevCheck Hardware & System Info as 31C...

Battery temp 2_DevCheck.png

Operating temp in normal use is around 30C-35C

To anyone experiencing issues with battery life, check that all your user apps have been updated for Android 11, (lots of apps on the Play Store have not been updated), and perhaps do a Factory Reset and set your phone up from scratch without transferring the old data and settings from a previous phone.

ironass motto... "The choice is yours!"  😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My device... Galaxy Z Fold5 5G 12/512GB (G946B D/S) CSC EUX. Android 14. One UI 6.1
Members_QEhcaF1
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue. I went from the S10+ to the S21 ultra. The battery of this s21 ultra is horrible. Can't even get through half a day.

0 Likes
Ajs3
Pathfinder
Options

This is my second day. Have been busy with other stuff today so haven't been using it much. Really shocking. Running 60Hz, no AOD, no 5G.

Not sure what to do. In South Africa, bought from Vodacom.

Screenshot_20210207-155311_Device care.jpg

0 Likes
Ajs3
Pathfinder
Options

This is now. Packed some screen time the last 2hrs or so browsing, social media while listening to music and had a 30min call as well. It feels like the rate of drain is slower but then again this is still really *****.

Screenshot_20210207-183836_Device care.jpg

0 Likes
_zax_
First Poster
Options

I'm curious for others that stumble onto this thread that have been seeing inconsistent battery life on the S21U, if we can draw any correlations to chip binning?

My S21U is the Qualcomm variant and I get wildly inconsistent battery usage. I have been able to get 8 hours of SOT from watching YouTube videos on loop (low CPU usage). Any time I run an application that requires a reasonable amount of compute power, the consumption takes a nose dive.

Ex. 3DMark Wildlife 2.0 stress test consistently drains 10% of my battery whereas most that I've seen drain 8%.

My S21U consistently benchmarks in Geekbench 5 at 1070 single core and 3100 multicore which appears to be lower than most other S21 Ultras and sadly is lower than even most Note 20 Ultra SD865+ benchmarks.

Perhaps Samsung is struggling with this 5LPE process node yield and shipping product with relaxed QC. Thoughts? Either way, very disappointing for a $1100 flagship.

0 Likes