Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

samsung ditches the charger on S21

(Topic created on: 16-01-2021 06:44 PM)
Gavinh
Helping Hand
Options
Why does Samsung make fun of apple and they copy by removing the power brick 🤦‍♂️

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Marketing ploys and Public relations i guess @Gavinh 

People raised an eye brow when the 3.5mm Jack was removed and they added a notch at the top of the phone's status bar. Then some manufacturers followed suit.

Now the Sd card slot has been removed.

I assume the manufacturers watched market trend to see what the consumers reaction was before they followed suit in some aspects.

I can see Pro's and Con's about removing the charger.

If this makes their carbon footprint smaller then OK.

Packaging goes smaller I guess.

Generally people have chargers already or use wireless charging.

But …

some people sell on the phone so the charger they have goes with the sold phone.

Not everyone has or likes wireless charging and charging this way can be slower.

Some wireless chargers don't come with a power brick and cord so one can be needed to power it up.

It will be interesting to follow people's thoughts and reactions to these changes.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

View solution in context

4 REPLIES 4
Solution
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Marketing ploys and Public relations i guess @Gavinh 

People raised an eye brow when the 3.5mm Jack was removed and they added a notch at the top of the phone's status bar. Then some manufacturers followed suit.

Now the Sd card slot has been removed.

I assume the manufacturers watched market trend to see what the consumers reaction was before they followed suit in some aspects.

I can see Pro's and Con's about removing the charger.

If this makes their carbon footprint smaller then OK.

Packaging goes smaller I guess.

Generally people have chargers already or use wireless charging.

But …

some people sell on the phone so the charger they have goes with the sold phone.

Not everyone has or likes wireless charging and charging this way can be slower.

Some wireless chargers don't come with a power brick and cord so one can be needed to power it up.

It will be interesting to follow people's thoughts and reactions to these changes.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Haytch
Helping Hand
Options
Samsung are becoming Apple wannabes. Why the hell are they doing exactly what Apple are doing. If I wanted an apple phone I'd get an apple product.

The sd card, 3.5mm Jack, all accessories in the box is what made Samsung DIFFERENT from Apple. Now they're just copying and so how is Samsung going to differentiate from other competitors, especially Apple.

Samsung has seriously downgraded

No sd card
No charger in the box
S21 and plus both fixed at 1080p
Plastic body
I've also heard they've removed an nfc feature on the s21.

I'm going to leave Samsung and move to another manufacturer
Gavinh
Helping Hand
Options
the SD slot is what has always made them a hair ahead of apple hopefully they don't hit us with a huge price tag for a little more memory later down the line.
0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

Going back to the charger issue... and this subject of the post...

@BandOfBrothers 
My thoughts... although I have a few spare chargers from previous Samsung phones, S8+ and S10+ these are specified for 2A at 5V...hence 10W charging... rather than the super fast charge capability of the S21 Ultra.  

I will probably end up buying one fast charger plug.    For the wireless pad options, I have tried them in the past and didn't like using them... some mornings I would pick my phone up, and because it wasn't well aligned to the charge circuit it didn't charge correctly... and also the speeds are definately inferior to the plugged in option.

Also a year ago I was diagnosed with a severe heart problem, and now have an implanted ICD in my chest (similar to a pacemaker).   This means that my proximity to 'induction charging circuits' carries an element of risk, that probably wouldn't be considered by healthy users, or Samsung designers.   So for that reason I will be definately staying away from wireless charging and stick to the plug in types.  

Kind Regards

Smiley 😀

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
0 Likes