Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21U - Something weird happening on vivid mode

(Topic created on: 16-02-2021 10:52 AM)
spitshaw
Pioneer
Options

Received my S21U yesterday and noticed a weird thing happens when vivid mode is on.

Basically, the colours change when apps take up the whole screen. It's mostly a slight change but it's really visible on skin tones. On my device when things are full screen, people's faces look pale, yellow and washed out. This disappears immediately if I put the app into pop-up view, splitscreen, or if I open another pop up app over the top. It also disappears if I swipe up to go to recent apps and the current app minimizes. It's annoying because the skin tones look normal and healthy when not full screen. Then as soon I full screen whatever I'm looking at the colours change straight away before my eyes and I see the washed out yellow skin tones appear. This doesn't happen on natural mode or when eye comfort is on, it only happens with vivid.

The same issue happened on my Note 20 Ultra, but the yellowed/washed out colours were SO much worse that I ended up returning it. Oddly enough it doesn't happen on my Tab S7+.

If you have a spare minute  can you see if this happens on your device? Open this random image of the legend William Hung full screen with vivid mode on. Then try swiping up to see recent apps and then tapping the app to full screen the image again. If the same thing happens on your device you should notice the skin tones change. He should look normal when the window isn't full but on full screen he looks really yellow and ill. The same should happen if you open it in split screen or popup view or open another app in pop up view over the top.

Anyone else noticed this or know why it happens? It actually kind of annoys me as the skin tones look ugly and at this price point I expect everything to be perfect. 

Cheers!

13 REPLIES 13
Gionike
Voyager
Options
lucky to say that it doesn't happen on my s21 ultra
0 Likes
Bt32
Voyager
Options
Is this only in Chrome? You might have Chromes hdr filter enabled. It's not happening on my phone anyway.
0 Likes
spitshaw
Pioneer
Options

Seems to happen in most of my apps but not all. I noticed it's fine in Reddit. It's driving me nuts and I'm actually a little annoyed it's not happening on your phones! Haha.

I tried to record it using screen recorder but it doesnt capture the problem on screen recorder. The video just looks entirely normal the whole time so something weird is happening software wise.

0 Likes
Bt32
Voyager
Options
Yeah I'm on vivid but don't see anything different. Are you using adaptive refresh rate or 60hz?
0 Likes
Case1188
Voyager
Options
no issues like that with my s21 ultra.
0 Likes
spitshaw
Pioneer
Options

I've tried using 60hz and also the different resolutions and it still happens. But I did just realise this doesn't happen in the Reddit app, but it does happen in Facebook, Messenger, Chrome and the Samsung Gallery. So that makes me more confused!

0 Likes
Bt32
Voyager
Options
I saw it happening on my OnePlus 8 Pro but the OP8pro had messed up screen tints and I believe it was because the refresh rate was changing from 60 to 120hz and the screen tint changed. I've not seen it happening on my s21U.
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I think I know what you're describing, I see it in videos played on my note 10+ 5G in chrome. Colours change when I press the volume key as the volume slider ui shows and it goes back when it dissapears.

Just checked and it does it on my S20 Ultra too but not the S21 Ultra. Not too much of a problem because I rarely watch anything in chrome but still strange.
0 Likes
spitshaw
Pioneer
Options
Hi guys, I uploaded a video of it happening on YouTube so you can understand what I mean a little better. (watch in landscape and 720p): https://youtu.be/2xrsaZ3-fXo