Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 -- wifi calling issue. Repeately dropping out of wifi calling mode.

(Topic created on: 10-02-2021 11:18 AM)
Rahul Lahiri
Journeyman
Options

I use T-Mobile. With the new S21, I am periodically losing the wifi calling ability. The setup is wifi calling preferred -- the cellular signal is pretty weak around my home. Wifi calling works great immediately after a reboot. Within a day or less, the wifi calling ability quietly drops -- no error messages. Wifi itself is still perfectly fine, and internet connectivity is not affected. The only way out of this state is either to stop and restart wifi connectivity, or to reboot the phone. The last 4 years I had a S7 and had no issues with it. I transferred the same sim to the S21.

Unfortunately Samsung help has not been all that helpful. They have had me clear cache from a protected mode restart, cleared the cache for the phone app, reset my network configuration, reset all configurations, ... -- but the problem keeps happening. 

I checked with T-Mobile, and all configurations at their end seem to be fine. The only thing that they suggested to achieve parity with the S7 is to select the network config without 5G, and see if I still have the problem. I switched to that config a couple of hours earlier. Waiting to see how this holds up.

Anybody else facing this problem on the S21? 

30 REPLIES 30
lc94
Apprentice
Options
I've noticed the WiFi calling icon keeps appearing and disappearing for me as well

Base S21 Exynos, signal at home always 1-2 bars
0 Likes
Kace2021
Pioneer
Options

I have never ever gotten WiFi calling to consistently work on any Samsung device on my home WiFi.  

My device... Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 12/256GB Exynos
0 Likes
SmallFish
Helping Hand
Options
Agree that WiFi calling has never been reliable for me but not had any extra problems with my S21Ultra on a UK network. Have you tried a factory reset, if it persists it sounds like some sort of compatibility issue. Ironically, if your mobile signal varies it can cause problems too.
0 Likes
Rahul Lahiri
Journeyman
Options

Yes - across my support calls with Samsung, I have done the following: cleared entire cache from a protected mode restart, cleared the cache for the phone app, reset my network configuration, reset all configurations, factory reset ...

The good news: It's been almost a day since I switched off 5G and rebooted. Have not lost the wifi calling yet. Possibly the longest stretch so far.

The bad news: If that's the problem, then I want my S7 back!! It was quite adequate even now -- and super reliable.

Rahul Lahiri
Journeyman
Options

A quick update on the issue: It's been 2 days since I turned off 5G. The problem has not happened -- easily the longest stretch since I got the phone. Assuming that the problem is fixed by turning off 5G, now the question is is this likely a problem with the phone or the carrier? Any thoughts?

0 Likes
Rahul Lahiri
Journeyman
Options

Final update: The problem is not fixed. I am losing wifi calling about once a day. Samsung will not replace the phone. The only thing that they would offer is if I ship the phone back, they will check it out for what is wrong -- which can take as long as 30 days. They will not provide a replacement during that time -- which means I will be without a phone for the 30-day peirod. And that's it. That's the extent of Sansung's customer commitment when they have shipped a defective pricey product. I think I am out of luck at this point. The most helpful thing they can offer is 'Reboot twice a day to prevent the problem'.

Obviously I am screwed on this phone, but this is definitely the last Samsung product I will ever purchase. Samsung does make good products, but they do not stand behind the product, or care about their customers. 

Rahul Lahiri
Journeyman
Options

After many calls and much complaining, Samsung is taking the phone back. They won't replace it -- which I would have preferred. But at least this is a outcome that I can respect Samsung for.

0 Likes
Mottoson
First Poster
Options
I have the Samsung s21 ultra too but on Vodafone and have the same problem. WiFi calling keeps dropping and will only then turn on again if I reboot the phone. Extremely annoying. Not sure how much longer I can put up with it. Good news that you managed to get them to take your phone back.
0 Likes
Mottoson
First Poster
Options
out if interest what WiFi provider do you use?
0 Likes