Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

s21 ultra video quality issues post latest update AUB9

(Topic created on: 22-02-2021 09:38 PM)
Ocebir
Pioneer
Options
The s21 ultra video recording has been so disappointing coming from an s10e makes me want to go back.. I have attached a screen recording of various resolution modes on video view finder and i think the recording speaks for itself but i will highlight it very quickly. The only usable resolution and fps are as follows FHD 30fps and UHD 30fps. Let me start with supersteady mode.. ergh unusable quality has taken me back 10 years... and with UHD 60fps and FHD 60fps you can see a huge quality drop versus 30fps
28 REPLIES 28
Ocebir
Pioneer
Options
You describe the lighting like it is pitch black? the light condition was the same for all modes however there is drastic difference between the quality of them so what you are saying has no significance. furthermore you describe other phones that had similar problems.. do you not realise you just mentioned other samsung phones.. does that not ring any bells for you? they do this every year and people cut them slack this is not acceptable no phone should be unboxed with video quality like this.. its not about returning a phone its about the principle of giving your hard earned money and getting ***** for it. so no I don't agree with any of your points above, samsung always struggle at launch because instead of designing one phone they design two phones (snapdragon and exynos) and then need to figure out bugs on both and then fix them on both which takes donkey years. we are in 2021 and people are reviewing the s21 ultra against the s21 ultra how crazy is that. anyways this is not a rant at you i just think samsung have conditioned you into this way of thinking over the years but you need to open your eyes this is not what people pay for.
0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
My point being... you are picturing a coffee table in an attempt to test out a camera. Also we are not even able to travel to take keepsake photos or videos.

most are testing phones in less than great conditions and making assumptions.

Don't get me wrong. if I travelled to Egypt or Mexico to take holiday pictures of the Pyramids or Mayan temples and they came out badly then I would be sorely upset.

However right now, that decision is out of our hands. So the best we can do is to take pictures of local things, just in testing and evaluation reasons.

I have also spent my hard earned money on this handset for £1329. I also paid additional Samsung care, official cases and a brand new Samsung watch 3.

I have a vested interest in Samsung... but I see them as a responsible company.

Right now they are doing everything they can to fix these 'teething problems' and all this during a pandemic lockdown.

so whilst we are taking pictures of coffee tables and complaining... they are probably working 12 hour shifts in the offices trying to make fixes to these 'minor bugs'... with their own risks of travel and covid.

I must be completely ignorant or something... because I just can't see why people can't display a little patience. It is not like we are on our holidays and these issues are spoiling our keepsake images and videos.

Yes Samsung should have had this phone ready with less bugs. But the world is a tough place and things have been impacted.

The whole world is affected right now... from services to supply chain.

Sony should have ensured enough stock and parts available to release their PS5... the Same with XBOX.

Nvidia should have made enough RTX3000 graphics cards before public releasing them and not being able to supply.

There are parts shortages everywhere... and delays for many many items.

I actually think Samsung did a good job getting this phone out to a schedule, despite the run up in October thru December of serious lockdown.

Everyone to their opinion... for me, this is mine. I will be patiently waiting for my heat issues, minor camera bugs to be resolved.

smiley
- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
🤣🤣🤣
- Smiley

Ocebir
Pioneer
Options
If you are suggesting these bugs are minor then we are on different planets. So many people have returned their phones because it was so unusable, loads of people returned assuming all these issues were relating to hardware problems when in reality it was just a rushed phone. if you are suggesting that Samsung did a good job by bringing a phone to market when they said they would instead of delaying it and ironing out the obvious issues then i start to wonder what is going through your mind. Also just because we are in lockdown does that mean we should not record any videos in our home? if I wanted to record my kids running around in the house in the lighting conditions i am sitting in i shouldn't do so? The main reason I upgraded to this phone from my s10e was because of the so called amazing camera improvements. I use to record my low budget YouTube videos on my s10e and assumed this would have been an upgrade to that but now I can't record anything.. So yeah if your circumstances are that you are sitting at home and do not have a requirement to record videos then yes that is fine you are in lockdown and can wait it out but for others it does not cut it. Also how can you expect anyone that has been on lockdown for so long to have any patience lol. I would rather not be able to buy the ps5 and keep playing my ps4 instead of trading in my ps4 and not being able to play my ps5. That is the situation Samsung has put a lot of people into.. people have traded in their perfectly well functioning devices for a so called Ultra upgrade..
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

Ok yeah fine.  I don't disagree with some of your points.   

Perhaps my previous job within mobile phone design at Nokia for 10 years, and understanding the issues around a release day and bug fixing have affected my sanity and judgement.    We used to perform testing with phones for many months before release, and despite all our best efforts internally, some bugs would still make it into the public domain.  

How acceptable this is, depends on the consumer / individual.  Some will rant.  Some will have some patience to allow time to fix things.  

I don't dispute that there are some artefacts in imagery and video that need fixing still, and the latest AUB9 has actually made my heat worse...it was fine before but somehow this is worsened with latest release.   However I have confidence it will all be fixed by the time we can get out of lockdown and need to do more meaningful tasks with the phone. 

I really like the overall design of the phone and I am happy to wait it out.   I buy a phone on pre-release knowing that there may be some bugs... else I would have waited for a few months for those issues to be fixed first.    The Note20 is now much better...but also had some teething issues on release day.  

Anyhow, I don't want to get into a 'ranting' match with anyone... so lets leave it at that, and I hope you either get the performance you expect from your hard earned money, or a refund of the phone as it is not fit for your purpose.  

Smiley :smiling-face:

- Smiley

Ocebir
Pioneer
Options
None of my ranting was directed at you it is just pure frustration and like you said each individuals needs and requirements are different and some will be happy enough to wait and others will be disappointed. I do take everything you have said on-board and if my phone was not the sole device to record my YouTube videos and lockdown did not take as long as it did I would probably not be moaning as much. Eitherway thanks for your contribution on the post.
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

No problem... it is also good to hear others experiences and understand different needs.    Of course, if my business was dependant on it, and the functions were not working then I am sure I would have a very different opinion about some things.   

For me, I guess my phone is more of a toy than a business tool.   I am enjoying it for the most part and it's improved features over my S10+ model (which was a very good phone for 2 years). 

Like you, I am hopeful that Samsung do fix these problems sooner rather than later.  😉

- Smiley

tinglish
Hotshot
Options
yeah I completely agree with you smiley.
I'm not a massive camera guy but I've noticed definite improvements with each update.
yes there is grain in some zoom settings but still better than alot of phones I've owned.
overall this phone is awesome and with the updates the camera keeps improving 👍
tinglish
Hotshot
Options
🤣🤣🤣 brilliant
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
My psychiatrIst may disagree tinglish.. when I release him from the boot of my car..🤣🤣🤪🤪👍