Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

S21 Ultra USB C Headphones not working

(Topic created on: 31-03-2021 02:39 PM)
Kelsaor
Journeyman
Options

Got a new S21 Ultra a few days ago, and I am noticing some odd behaviour with my USB C headset.

The headphones seem to work fine with calls.

With media/apps - Often with the headphone plugged in, the audio comes out the phone's main speaker. Disconnecting the usb c and reconnecting it usually forces the audio to switch to the headset.

However, if I pause video/audio for more than a few seconds or switch apps the audio jumps back to the main speaker.

I do get an android notification saying "USB device not recognised" when it stops working.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
jaychew90
Apprentice
Options

Here's the problem. S21 phones does not have a built in DAC for wired earphones. 
You will need a Type C to 3.5mm dongle with DAC chip.

I believe those who are seeing "Device not supported" use normal dongle which doesn't has any DAC chip.

View solution in context

38 REPLIES 38
99kingcone
Pathfinder
Options
the Samsung s21 ultra 5g does not have a jack socket to play music, you will have to use Bluetooth, I suggest that you check it out on Samsung tips which is installed on your s21 ultra
0 Likes
Kelsaor
Journeyman
Options

Are you saying wired usb-c headphones wont work with media/apps? I have looked through tips, couldn't find anything relevant.

99kingcone
Pathfinder
Options
check it out on you tube you will get all of the information that you are looking for
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
When you plug the headphones in, pull down the notifications and click on media. Does it show headset? It should look like this.

clipboard_image_1617216364519.jpg

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Not sure if you don't realise this but USB C headphones exist and they work fine on pretty much every phone with a USB C port, including the S21.

@Kelsaor ignore the comment, it's completely false information. USB C headphones should work for calls and media, pretty much all sound should be directed through them once plugged in.
Kelsaor
Journeyman
Options

@joeeye It does, until I get the USB device not recognised notification, then it says "This phone"

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I see, do you have any other device to test the headphones on? Also make sure the connection is flush and that it is not loose in any way.
0 Likes
Kelsaor
Journeyman
Options

Tried it on an S10, I don't get the "unrecognised USB notification" nor the audio reverting to main speaker after a pause. It does however switch to main when you switch to a different app. So Im guessing either the headphones or the Samsung USB-c app are the issue. May just bite the bullet and just get some Galaxy buds.

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Hmm sorry don't quite know what the issue is. I have a pair of USB C headphones from my Note 10+ 5G I believe which seem to work fine on the S21 Ultra.

If you go for the buds Pro, quality wise I think they're great, however comfort wise I think takes getting use to. Good luck on whatever you decide.
0 Likes