Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra telelenses & Pro mode (RAW .DNG) when?

(Topic created on: 07-09-2021 09:14 AM)
Johnnew Archibald
Apprentice
Options

Its been months since Samsung announced they would update camera app on S21 Ultra global edition to let us shoot raw .dng and use pro mode on the telelenses but what happened? Did they lie again? 

Whats the point of a 1200 dollar phone, when 500 dollar Chinese phones with same camera setup and even similar sensors can shoot raw .dng with all cameras but Samsung are limiting theirs? LOL, its almost sad. 

I find it peculiar that no other news has been announced about it and there is no update, it cannot be hard to enable RAW and pro mode on the telelenses, after all if people can do it by rooting the device, I find it hard to believe its hard work for Samsung to achieve the same result officially. 

7 REPLIES 7
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Never found mobile .dng worth it to be honest.
Nothing beats dslr.
Unless obviously you are a whiz at photoshop.
I guess most people wouldn't bat an eyelid.
0 Likes
Johnnew Archibald
Apprentice
Options

Thats not really the entire point, the point is that other phone manufacturers are constantly giving consumers MORE for LESS and yet Samsung is gonna give us Pro Mode on the tele lenses in a future update, yet where is the update? Its been months since the announcement.
When its a simple software fix, a toggle essentially in the code to let us have it.  

I do not like the argument "This feature is not useful for most, so why include it" because just having the option there is in itself the right thing to do, almost every other phone manufacturer does it, why is Samsung deliberately cutting away software features? It makes little sense to me.

Pro Mode gives you complete manual control, even on a phone you can still take good enough pictures with manual controls using Pro Mode, and RAW .DNG still offers you far greater control than a JPEG could, for one you can control the white balance, and Samsung has always had very poor JPEG render engine, just shooting RAW and converting it to JPEG gives you a better quality image. It was never about matching DSLR or anything, but simply giving you the ability to do manual controls on all cameras was something they promised since the S20 Ultra days they would update and yet nothing even for S20 Ultra. 

Its 1200 dollars, thats a lot of money for a phone with less software capability than lets say Xiaomi phones which can all shoot RAW and have Pro Mode even for their selfie cams. 

GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I also buy my phones for the cameras but keep my expectations low.
I have never found that perfect one yet. Even have the pixel4xl from.last year.
There will always be compromises no matter which phone you buy.

Also with the S21 Ultra the phone gets hot with camera use. Probably giving .dng it might fry the camera 😏.
I just love the variety of the lens on the S21 Ultra and just hope they improve their algorithms on it.
I must admit they have improved over the years, but could do more.
The hardware is great but software side is lacking.
0 Likes
Sebidoo
First Poster
Options

That's beacuase you're not a photographer. For any pro photographer having the versatility of being able to edit in raw is almost a must and that includes exposures from both Tele lenses. Just about any picture that I take goes through lightroom and it's frustrating when so many of my photos have less editing flexibility. 

0 Likes
rawshooter
Explorer
Options

Does this work now?

0 Likes
Johnnew Archibald
Apprentice
Options

Yes, its called Expert RAW and you can get it in the samsung Galaxy Store, its only available for S21 Ultra.

The S20 Ultra, gets nothing, they say its gonna come for S21+, but knowing it took them 8 months to get the function on S21 Ultra, I would not hold my breath. 

0 Likes
rawshooter
Explorer
Options

Is there a way to contact the Expert RAW programmer team?

0 Likes