Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra Slow Wi-Fi 6

(Topic created on: 25-02-2021 04:55 AM)
mrphoe
Journeyman
Options

Screenshot_20210224-204731_Speedtest.jpg

Has anybody else experienced this issue on their S21 Ultra where their Wifi6 downloads are slower than normal? My upload seems fine, giving how far I sit from the router to test (speeds match laptop and other devices). I'm on symmetrical gigabit internet and my current router is set to Wifi6 on the 5GHz 4x4 band @ 160MHz (DFS) that sits alone on the channel that I've specified (pretty packed community, luckily there are many channels that are free to choose).

14 REPLIES 14
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
Like I totally appreciate you want what you were advertised and pay for but I'm incredibly jealous.
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
38mb/s and 3mb/s upload on ethernet connection and that's the best available.
0 Likes
mrphoe
Journeyman
Options

I'll never get my advertised speed over WiFi. That's not the issue. The issue is I am being limited to >300Mbps when it should be way faster.

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
what do your other devices get from your download speeds? More specifically what is your normal download speed from your ISP, wired or otherwise. To me your speed looks perfect given your phenomenal upload speed.
0 Likes
mrphoe
Journeyman
Options

Wired I easily hit 940s/940s on a good day. All of my wireless 6 devices on the 5GHz network hit around 600-800 up and down. So it is strange that my brand new phone refuses to do this. 

I've tried resetting router, rebooting/resetting phone, marking my Wifi as "unmetered." 

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Hmm strange. Unfortunately I don't have a WiFi 6 router to check. Have you tried testing your LAN speed between devices to see if its just the Internet speed?

For reference I've transfered large files as a test between my devices and it tops out at around 82MB/s or roughly 660mbps over WiFi (my S20 Ultra to my S21 Ultra).
Solution
mrphoe
Journeyman
Options

TIL that there was a possibility that not all Apps are optimized for the S21U, and I truly believe it. I read it in another forum post on here somewhere, then realized to maybe try the web version or a different speed test. 

Yeah...dumb dumb me should have tried to use the web version before making this post...no idea how it slipped my mind all of this time!

In any case, I was able to hit 600Mbps download from the phone's browser.

So, the real issue is app optimization for the S21U...I hope that gets fixed real soon, as when I first got the phone, I noticed apps running very sluggish in terms of logging in/downloading/timing out when trying to refresh/etc. Lately, I've seen this happen way less as apps get updated. 

Anyway, I can sleep easy knowing the phone doesn't have a WiFi hardware issue. Whew...

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
When you used the Web page version, did you compare with the same server in the app version?
0 Likes
mrphoe
Journeyman
Options

Same server. The Speedtest app is slower and doing something funky, whereas Speedtest website from the browser allows my download speeds to hit 600+ every time.