Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra screen death!

(Topic created on: 17-04-2021 02:05 PM)
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
Until yesterday morning my 512Gb Exynos S21 Ultra had been a joy to own with any early thermal problems soon righting themselves. When I bent down in my hallway to disconnect it from the mains after charging however I noticed that the screen was unbelievably bright and flickering wildly. I never use auto brightness and keep the screen at 40% brightness always which was still the case when I pulled my notification bar down and checked. The screen suddenly went black. I pressed the power button to engage the lock screen and it only blinked on for a fraction of a second and when it did so it had a pronounced yellow green tint. My heart sunk. I could feel the fingerprint sensor working but no entry into the phone was possible. The pin entry screen was not available now either. The clock was just glanceable when I hit the power button so the phone seemed to be still functioning behind the screen and I could feel the phone going through a reboot via vibrations when I attempted to use this to clear the problem. This did not work. I only had the briefly visible tinted screen of death.
 I rang EE later the same morning and spoke to a very warm and kind and knowledgeable lady with a lovely South Wales accent and I went through a reboot with her on the phone and she quickly agreed that my screen was knackered (my words not hers.. ) and she checked my details to see that I had insurance with them and that she would get a courier out to me as soon as possible to pick up my phone for repair. She also offered me a replacement phone for less than half my insurance excess as a goodwill gesture on behalf of EE but I am so happy with this phone and opted for the free repair option as I have so many non backed up pictures and videos on the brilliant little thing. 
 The courier has just been and collected my phone less than 24 hours after the problem developing and I have swapped my SIM back into my trusty old Note 9 which I know I can always count on to get me through such a crisis. EE tell me my phone should be repaired in between 7 and 14 days. Their service has been brilliant. I hope nobody else out there has this fault develop on their phones and would like to know if anyone else out there has had this same problem?. Thanks. 👍👍
22 REPLIES 22
tinglish
Hotshot
Options
Man I think I would cry if that happened to me😅.
I wonder what caused it to do that?
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
No idea mate. Seriously. The display has been brilliant and slick until yesterday. I managed to hide my tears from my Wife and family..🤣 When I find out exactly what the problem was I will post it on this forum. 👍
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I'm also with EE and find them great to deal with. I don't want to wotsit on your chips but you do realise they will reset your device?
Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Your lucky you kept your trusty note 9 for back up. If I had this issue I have no back up.
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
I appreciate your wotsits mate and it seems you are right and I had to make the decision to say a potential goodbye to my videos and pictures at the last minute this morning as my phone performs so well and my pictures and videos on it were not a life and death issue but SD card capacity on the phone would have been helpful here. 😢
0 Likes
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
Indeed Fiona26 it is always good to have a back up phone. Or two. Or more. I am something of a hoarder though and have a little army of back up phones.. I also have an S7 Edge, an LG G3, a Galaxy S3, a Nokia N8, a Nokia N96, all bar the N8 in good working order.. I think I have a problem?.. 🤣🤣.. 👍
tinglish
Hotshot
Options
Yeah please do,will be interesting to see what caused it.
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
If I am right you use the phone mostly for video and Camera.

Here are my theories.

The charger you use might have had an effect especially if its a faster charger the S21 can't handle ( s21 need slower charger)

Maybe Samsung still hasn't optimised the phone for long usage of camera and video and it somehow messed it up.

Somebody in the house dropped or mishandled your baby 👶 without your knowledge.

😝 Just theories don't take them seriously, Especially the last one but something to think about while you wait.
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
@Babishko... sorry to hear your bad news... that sucks !

Hopefully your phone will be back before you know it... all repaired and ready to go.

Smiley 😀
- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite