Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra performance after camera use

(Topic created on: 06-02-2021 07:51 PM)
Guy41
Navigator
Options

So I noticed something strange.

We all know the camera on the Exynos version causes a significant load on the CPU. 10 minutes use of the camera (esp. using 108mp and portrait modes) had my device at 44-45o. I then closed the camera app and waited around 5 minutes but the CPU kept at ~41o with spikes of heavy use even with the camera app being closed for a while.

I then ran 3Dmark where I would usually get 5300 and it scored 3300. Another run after a couple more minutes acheived about the same result. This means that the workload the camera puts on the CPU throttles it so much that it is kept throttled for a very long duration of time. Probably even after the CPU cools down. 

Extremely strange and frustrating. 
I wonder if there's a way to bypass the CPU throttling. 

12 REPLIES 12
jaro76
Navigator
Options
a patch is on the way to deal with this issue. should be in the uk shortly i hope. i haven't had the heating issue at all.
WHATaTOPPER
Voyager
Options
I haven't had the overheating issues neither a slight drop in in in CPU performance but that was because I went out of my way to really push the device had it connected via text while looking into it one camera at the top spec it was a little trippy increased by 6 degrees Celsius not that I'm much of a camera use it to be honest not really a deal breaker for me

20210206_164134_3316.jpg

0 Likes
Guy41
Navigator
Options

Interesting.  Could you please let me know how hot your CPU gets after 10 minutes or so of camera use (heavy modes - 108mp and portrait)? Also, if you have 3DMark, can you run it immediately after using the camera?

thanks.

0 Likes
Guy41
Navigator
Options

Thanks. Can you please let me know how hot your CPU gets after heavy use of the camera (10 minutes, 108mp and portrait modes)?

jaro76
Navigator
Options
it didn't. i used it or twenty minutes in the garden earlier amongst other features and it wasn't hot at all. everything works as it should.
0 Likes
John19691969
Hotshot
Options
John19691969
Hotshot
Options
I had same problem over heating ..fry a egg on it hot ..I gave it 5 days to sort out with updates nothing changed for £1329 I said no way and sent back for full refund from Samsung ( UK) never seen anything like it before ..thought it would melt it got that hot ...using camera made it worse ....I've gone back using my S10 5G never gets warm and no problems on that one ... shame on Samsung and with how hot it was getting it must of damaged the inside battery etc was not going to take a chance on it....like I said before I've had all makes of phone and never ever seen a phone get that hot before... not just once but every time I used it
I hear people say wait let it do its thing etc but
I thought for a phone costing £1329 do I take that chance... no way was I
Guy41
Navigator
Options

I see. Would be interesting to see what the actual CPU temperature is. More interesting is the 1st unit I got was extremely hot when using the camera. This second one is just mildly hot but enough to impact the performance of the phone in demanding situations (gaming). Also - is your camera laggy (not all physical movements translate immediately to the screen)?

0 Likes
jaro76
Navigator
Options
ocassional lagging in portrait mode for some reason. im betting its an ai/camera algorythm that's triggering higher temperature in the cpu's.
0 Likes