Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra overheats while using the camera

(Topic created on: 07-08-2022 12:32 PM)
MI9153
Apprentice
Options
I never had used my phones camera for video purposes but had to use it for some work recently. I was surprised that the phone got soo hot within minutes and literally it automatically shut down the camera as it got overheat. I tried a few other times with same results i.e. overheat within 8minutes. Is there anything that can be done about it, wasn't expecting this from this phone and now strongly thinking not to upgrade to S22 due to this very reason
0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
ThatGuyJacobee
Navigator
Options
From personal experience, on my previous s10+ when I recorded 4k 60fps, it did get hot but never shut down. I've now got a s22 ultra now, and my mother has a s22 and the heating is mostly solved, never had the phone go above 40c~.
0 Likes
MI9153
Apprentice
Options
I was shooting at 8K 24fps, that might be the reason. Let me try HD 24fps and see if it persists.
0 Likes
MI9153
Apprentice
Options
Update - it persists at HD 30fps as well 😞
0 Likes
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
4K 30fps should be your cameras sweetspot in my opinion @MI9153. You did quite well to get 8 minutes recording at 8K 24fps on your S21 Ultra without your phone melting!.. 🤣 🤣🥵🥵.. 👍 👍
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
Give it time to really cool down and clear the camera app cache and reboot the phone and see what happens.. Good luck. 👍 👍
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Yeah at 8K you are talking heavy processing power needed.
If you're in a hot climate, this will worsen it.
Try dropping to 1080p, or if resolution is needed, drop to 4K
Can't imagine 8K would be needed for most tasks.
The S22 Ultra is definitely very good at not overheating. Well mine is anyway
leicesterMan
Troubleshooter
Options
Join the club , Samsung s20 ultra does the same, after the UI 4 .1 update
0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

The phone will heat up when using power intensive applications and downloading large files, shooting 8k video for extensive period will stretch it.  in this article user had warning not to record  in 8k over 5 minutes. May be advisable to turn off any connections not needed when shooting 8k.    https://www.digitalcitizen.life/recording-videos-smartphones/    As already mentioned  lower resolution should be fine in most instances.   

Over heating guide here, as long is device is cooled down  generally should not be an issue.  https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/what-to-do-when-your-phone-heats-up/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes