Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra Overheating even after factory reset without any app installed or data transfer- Australia

(Topic created on: 27-02-2021 11:25 PM)
volksguy
Journeyman
Options

I pre-ordered S21 Ultra  and got my phone on 22.01.2021. I transferred all data from my old Samsung device through SmartSwitch. The new S21 Ultra gets overheated after few minutes of usage which is not same in the case of my S10+. S21 Ultra camera app does not run if device is overheated. Even after couple of factory resets and without any installed app in the device, S21 Ultra camera app made this device overheated after few minutes of recorded video. If the device temperature gets over 42 degree celsius, camera slow motion does not work properly. I tried to apply all the tips given by Samsung online support on this devices to resolve this problem but at last it did not get resolved even after factory reset. I just gave my device to Samsung care center for repair/replacement. Please share your experience if you have this type issue with your S21 Ultra.

36 REPLIES 36
Gionike
Voyager
Options
Well...my phone was an update from EE and this is actually my 3rd phone ( I had 2 replacements) because I thought it was a fault. I had the exact same problem with all 3 phones until I changed the way I transfered my stuff from old phone.

now, I do still find that when I use the camera, the phone heats up still but not as much. around 42°/43°c. which is apparently normal. I did 3 tests with using the different camera settings and lens for 10-16mins. even used portrait mode. before, it used to heat up to 50°c within 3-5mins and then eventually a warning message will pop up and stop the camera app. but I haven't had this issue since I changed my way of transferring. I haven't updated to the latest firmware yet as its not available as I'm on EE but I think it'll improve things even more
0 Likes
volksguy
Journeyman
Options

Since I already gave the phone to Samsung Care Center to rectify this overheating issue, I will wait to try everything from a fresh start. I will install every app manually one by one and will transfer Photos/Videos only  (not old settings) from old phone through SmartSwitch. I will wait for at least 2 weeks to give the phone time to adapt the usage style also as advised by few people over here. If it still creates the same issue, I will understand this Exynos may have issues. 

0 Likes
isko01
Pioneer
Options

Hi @volksguy 

So it is 2 week past after your post. I hope you get some new updates.

Can you tell me did your camera gets overheating when you use a camera for a 5- 10 minutes? 

And did camera app got "force close" because of overheating?

0 Likes
isko01
Pioneer
Options

Hi @Gionike 

I had a same problem with overheating wheh I buy S21U. But I have returned after 5 days use. But now I want to buy, because it was past 30 days from that.

So it is one week past after your post. I hope you get some new updates. Which one is your last update? And did you do wipe-chace after kast update?

Can you tell me did your camera gets overheating when you use a camera for a 5- 10 minutes? 

And did camera app got "force close" because of overheating?

0 Likes
Gionike
Voyager
Options
hi, so since I last posted my msg on here I did update to the latest software (see photo). my camera hasn't heated up much and never had any warning screen where the app had to shut down due to heat. I've been using the phone quite a bit as I'm always at home. the most it's heated up is when I use the phone to tether / hotspot to the laptop and my PlayStation to watch Netflix etc while I'm also using the phone multi tasking. so it's expected to get hot when ur doing tethering. but it's never shut down. I've also installed the new GALAXY LABS app which let's u manage ur battery and thermal. so all in all I'm very happy with everything to be honest. Battery usage and screen on time has been pretty reasonable too considering how heavily the phone is being used and everything it does, especially the tethering. I'm getting around 15-20hrs usage/ 6-8hrs screen on time (no tethering) .

Screenshot_20210219-154920_Software update_21050.jpg

Screenshot_20210227-222641_Galaxy Labs_21937.jpg

Screenshot_20210227-222704_Thermal Guardian_21938.jpg

isko01
Pioneer
Options

Bro thx you so much :smiling-face:

So one more question. I one of your old post you wrote:

"now, I do still find that when I use the camera, the phone heats up still but not as much. around 42°/43°c"

So did you still have this problem? :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Gionike
Voyager
Options
erm...to be honest I'm not sure. u see I've now got the samsung leather case 9n the phone and so I don't feel any heat at all really. however I do sometimes check the temperature using the GSM battery monitor to monitor the temperature time to time. from what I remember, if n when it does get hot, when using camera, it's usually around 40-44°. but that's the maximum, I think. maybe I should check it out properly to be honest. even then though, I think 42° or 44° is not meant to be a concern for heavy usage. and it doesn't usually go that high from just using the camera app. it's usually because there are itching background activity happening. ie tethering or battery consuming apps. but I should check it out properly
isko01
Pioneer
Options

Did you before all this updates get notification like "overheating" and then app close so your phone need to cool down?

And did this problem show now?

Thx you one more time :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Gionike
Voyager
Options
I used to get it 8n the beginning yes. when I tried to use the camera, for example, and there was maybe chrome, messages etc in the background and after using camera for 5 mins I would get that message with heating warning and camera app would close. but ibhavent had that since I transfered everything manually, like I mentioned in the above post, without using samsung switch app. I don't use chrome much either because they put a lot of strain on the cpu I think n drains battery. but that's not samsungs fault. I think the chrome app needs updating. and I think the Galaxy LABS app helps if you bring down the threshold in the thermal section.
isko01
Pioneer
Options

Thx a lot :smiling-face: so in lets say, after this updates they fix it? :smiling-face:

0 Likes