Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

s21 ultra no camera resolution choice??

(Topic created on: 13-03-2021 02:38 PM)
LMK
Pioneer
Options
Hi, does anyone know how you can chose the resolution of the camera? There only seems to be a choice of ratio, which provides the 108mp option. Really confusing.
I notice the video camera abbreviates resolution and fps. 
31 REPLIES 31
APARMAR
Troubleshooter
Options
You can't change the picture resolution on Samsung phones, only video resolution can be changed
0 Likes
Shamrock_Sean
Voyager
Options
Yes you can it's at top of main camera interface where it says 4:3
0 Likes
LMK
Pioneer
Options
On my s9+ you can change it in the settings for front and back camera. You can only now select 3:4 108MP, 3:4, 9:16, Full.... we should be able to select ratio and then resolution separately!!!
LMK
Pioneer
Options
This is on S9+. You can only do ratio on s21. Quite ridiculous to get rid of that.

20210201_084854_5810.jpg

20210201_084913_5811.jpg

dtostones
Student
Options

I can't find it either. Only the size ratio changes as of now. Seems like the camera app developers forgot this feature...silly and annoying. 

Remain Sedate
Student
Options

HUGE OVERSIGHT by Samsung. Can't for example upload pictures easily to Facebook Marketplace (and many other places) because the file size is way too big.  Having to resize each picture one by one after taking them is a huge inconvenience.

AndrewL
Options

@Remain Sedate: If you open the Camera app > Tap the cog symbol to access the Settings > Format and Advanced options > HEIF Pictures > On, you can reduce the file size of images captured in Photo mode. I hope this helps. 

Remain Sedate
Student
Options

Thank you so much for the reply, AndrewL.  I did already try making the change to the HEIF file type; however, this proved difficult for FB Marketplace (and other sites) to understand.  It's apparently not a popular file type for photo uploading. It also really slowed down my ability to photo edit (such as rotate).  I had to actually install a third party app to allow me to edit the HEIFs.   I'm going to go through the steps you mentioned and see if there is any further image reduction option that I've overlooked (aside from changing to HEIF).  Thanks again.

0 Likes
SueSanderson
First Poster
Options

I also hate doing that! I have an Instagram blog so it's important for me that my followers see good quality photos and stories every day. It became so inconvenient and time-consuming to resize each picture before posting it, but a tip I could give you guys is to use an image enlarging and editing app. Usually, these apps have some kind of artificial intelligence that will decrease or increase the image size on its own. It's amazing what you can do with technology these days, especially how a phone or app can do everything for you. Anyways, when I upgrade to a new phone, it certainly won't be a Samsung now!