Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 ultra low Dxomark score

(Topic created on: 07-03-2021 05:16 AM)
Guy41
Navigator
Options

So we've all seen the low score of the S21 ultra, compared to huawei and the iphone 12 pro max. Even more concerning is the comparison to the s20 ultra. However I think it is completely unfair as the whole zoom category checked the phone in the completely wrong way. Look at the test. It does 2.5x,4x and 8x. ALL are ranges where the phone goes digital and crops. Obviously if other phones have a 2x lens that is used for 2.5x/4x/8x the results would be more 'optical'. What they should have done is to test the camera charateristics at 3x and 10x. Not compared to anything but to give an objective assessment of those lenses. They also completely ignored ultra zoom (say X30) comparison between the phones. I also didnt see any note on the macro capabilities. True, there are things to improve (noise, video details) and I hope they are improved in software. However I do feel that with a fair comparison of the zoom lenses the overall score would be very similar to the Iphone.

4 REPLIES 4
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
That is why those results are so arbitrary and should always be taken with salt.
0 Likes
j123456789
Pathfinder
Options

I am now using Iphone 12 pro max as main phone after returning s21 ultra due to poor battery life.  The one thing I think Samsung is doing better than Iphone is in the camera department especially in night mode.  I still kept my S10+ and after the recent update, pictures taken in night mode are better than the Iphone with all three lenses. Having said that the portrait mode on Iphone is still hard to beat.

kkh786
Navigator
Options
Stopped taking notice of DxO a long time ago as they are known to very biased with their results. Favouring those who pay them.. one point in case was the OnePlus phone being classed as best.

My point is proved again by the S21 Ultra being ranked lower than the S20 Ultra! Plus all the Chinese brands all being ranked near the top is very fishy.

The OPs comments about not using native zoom of 3x and 10x sounds about right given the practises of DxO.

My advice, ignore DxO.. not worth your time.
Current Samsung Devices: Galaxy S20+ 5G (Cosmic Black/128GB) | Galaxy Watch3 (Mystic Black/45mm Bluetooth) | Galaxy Buds (Aura Glow Silver)
Vetri
Voyager
Options
well said