Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra Google Maps / GPS issues and poor battery life

(Topic created on: 19-08-2021 05:43 PM)
Members_aj6jNUh
Student
Options

My S21 Ultra has major issues when using Google Maps / GPS - keeps losing me on the map or suddenly showing incorrect routes (i.e. telling me to make U-turns) while driving

I have yet to install a GPS signal monitor to see if the satellite signals are low or if it's something else to do with Google maps but right now it's so bad I'm going to have to change the handset if Samsung can't fix this as I use it for navigation all of the time and in current state is almost unusable

Note: I have an old car with a standard windshield, previous phone (Huawei P40 pro) worked perfectly

Also the battery life is absolutely abysmal even after optimising every available area

Next time I'm in the car I'll get some GPS signal strength and connection data and add it to this post...

If Samsung can fix GPS and battery life then this would be the perfect phone but both of those are deal breakers for me...

20 REPLIES 20
Eck42
First Poster
Options
Same problem, s21 and keep loosing signal on Google maps in van. Never had this issue with s10 in same van. driving me mad. Come on samsung, get this fixed please
0 Likes
Arya1999
Pioneer
Options
I'm having exactly the same problem. Oddly enough I had the same problem with my Note 4. It's like they've gone backwards.
0 Likes
Timdough72
Student
Options

Oddly enough in the last couple of days I've had a new issue come up with Google maps on the Samsung Galaxy s21 ultra. I'm not sure anyone's posted about this before but now Google maps will show the timeline for my destination and my destination could be 15-20 minutes away in reality and it's saying it's 2 hours and 45 minutes away while at the same time showing the correct route but the times just off. It's just weird there's all sorts of glitches

0 Likes
Tmkj
First Poster
Options

I'm having the exact same issue on my S21. It's incredibly annoying, the GPS signal just randomly drops out whenever it wants to. For the price I paid for this phone there needs to be a fix for this, it is absolutely not functioning as intended. 

0 Likes
epleo
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue on my qualcomm-based S21 Ultra.  It loses GPS signal within 10 or 20 seconds of turning the screen off, which is incredibly frustrating.

0 Likes
Templeton99
First Poster
Options

Same problem here... 

0 Likes
Members_LcYduRi
First Poster
Options

Same problem here... The phone (Samsung S21) was send to repair, but Samsung told that the phone complies with the quality standards.  I still don't have a good GPS signal.

0 Likes
snk1
First Poster
Options

Experimented by moving my car's phone holder to different positions in the car that the gps signal problem was specifically in the center position where my holder always used to be, and where my old xiaomi phone worked fine, but s21 ultra doesn't catch the signals in the same place.

I did measurements of gps signal on s21 ultra and my old phone xiaomi mi a2 lite. Results were that both phones had similar gps satellite signal strengths, s21 ultra was a bit better in some spots and mi a2 lite was better in some spots. So I conclude that due some interference with car body the ultra's sensor is not catching the satellite signals in the original spot, so I moved my phone holder appropriately for it to work,and it's fine.

Also, I've never had a problem on walks and hikes, so that supports the above theory that I don't believe there's anything intrinsically wrong with my particular s21 ultra. I had my mind almost made up to send it for repair, but after above tests I held off, and happy for that.

Hopefully this may help some others on this topic.

0 Likes
henners1999
Journeyman
Options

I'm having the same issue. Each time I try to use apps to go to work it keeps saying "GPS signal lost" I have no idea how to fix it. This never happened on my old phone (note 20 ultra) so frustrating.

Tork01
First Poster
Options

It's a real shame almost 5 months gone and no response from Samsung or any update. I purchased this phone specifically for backpacking and hiking and it is essentially nothing but a brick. Not a single one of my applications that use GPS will work, waste of money. My gas to the whole issue in this is the fancy camera they stuck in the S21 Ultra and went cheap on everything else.