Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra Google Maps / GPS issues and poor battery life

(Topic created on: 28-04-2021 05:30 PM)
Members_aj6jNUh
Student
Options

My S21 Ultra has major issues when using Google Maps / GPS - keeps losing me on the map or suddenly showing incorrect routes (i.e. telling me to make U-turns) while driving

I have yet to install a GPS signal monitor to see if the satellite signals are low or if it's something else to do with Google maps but right now it's so bad I'm going to have to change the handset if Samsung can't fix this as I use it for navigation all of the time and in current state is almost unusable

Note: I have an old car with a standard windshield, previous phone (Huawei P40 pro) worked perfectly

Also the battery life is absolutely abysmal even after optimising every available area

Next time I'm in the car I'll get some GPS signal strength and connection data and add it to this post...

If Samsung can fix GPS and battery life then this would be the perfect phone but both of those are deal breakers for me...

20 REPLIES 20
Lm22boxers
First Poster
Options

I'm having the same issue.  Let me know if fixed with a new phone.

0 Likes
snk1
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem with Google Maps app in the S21 Ultra, that it almost never connects to the GPS when trying to do navigation during a car drive.

0 Likes
kkwangdi
First Poster
Options

I also have issues using Google Maps...sometimes, the map does not respond. My friend's S20+ does not have issues at all.

0 Likes
Timdough72
Student
Options

I'm also having the same issue. I purchased a new Galaxy s21 and also a Galaxy ultra 21 at the same time and gave the s21 to one of my workers. We both use GPS all day and only I am having the issues with the ultra. I have to reset my phone all the time and then it'll reconnect to GPS through Google maps, otherwise it just sits there and is trying to connect I've even let it go for like 30 minutes to see if it'll connect and it never does

0 Likes
tomaszzak
First Poster
Options

Samsung 3 weeks since first post and no solution or even any guide? I have same problem and as a advanced user I already tried lot of popular solution but nothing solve that, it seems like hardware issue, and due to I ride more that 3000km per week and that make my S21 navigation function useless due to losing signal each few km... We need solution or a recall / replacment action if hardware issue, none of us want to be ignored...

Najeebbs
First Poster
Options

What's the sense of this community if Samsung doesn't reply to our concern. My GPS keeps losing signal. I tried various GPS test GPS essential etc. Sometimes it shows some satellites then suddenly all bars go down. No signal

PengLaiDao
Student
Options
Going into Google Maps settings and switching off "Start maps in satellite view" has worked for me. Does mean the minor hassle of having to manually switch on satellite view each time, but a small inconvenience for not having to constantly force stop, clear storage and disabling/enabling Google Maps. Hope this works for you too 🙂
WWAZman
Student
Options

I just started having problems a few days ago after having had the phone since January or February. I drive Uber about 10 hours a day. My issue has become later in the day usually suddenly and lose GPS signal. I have found that airplane mode does not work turning it off and on again in the airplane mode, and the only thing that seems to fix it is not a simple restart of the phone, but actually turning it off and on again. After that power reboot, so far it has always worked again. I'm trying to determine if it has anything to do with my charging cord in the car because it has been plugged in even after 100%. I'm not sure if this has any difference with it or not? Also using Google maps has been quite a joke recently. I will say my main map program is either Waze (ironic since Google owns it) or whatever map comes with uber.

MrCordell
First Poster
Options

I'm having the same issue. Hopefully this can be fixed with an update. It's very frustrating to have GPS signal loss without me knowing until I'm already way past my turn.