Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 ULTRA EXYNOS VS SNAPDRAGON

(Topic created on: 05-02-2021 09:36 PM)
adamlee
Big Cheese
Options
https://youtu.be/rsLJLk3nx8k

So as you can see from the video battery life is the same but performance and heat are worse on the exynos. Maybe Samsung could comment and explain why we still have differences in chips in 2021??? And we pay the same price but get less performance.
25 REPLIES 25
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
The cost of production varies from country to country because of the cost of labour, strength of currency, taxes etc. This applies to every product. Why do yo think China floods the West with dirt cheap stuff?
Sorry, I understand Exynos v Snapdragon but that is not a valid argument.
Notamech
Voyager
Options
Not just that the main issue for a lot of people will be the sub par camera performance. I returned mine as I was unhappy with the picture quality. Now it all makes sense and I'm glad I returned it. Samsung keep screwing it's loyal customers over. Time to switch brands.
Vetri
Voyager
Options
it doesn't just stop with the heat, the camera performance is worse in exynos version which is totally unacceptable. samsung will just ignore this as usual unless we consumers take this as a wake up call. I'm really disappointed and I'm thinking of returning the phone. remember these phones cost a fortune and we deserve a product which is consistent across its product line not a region specific inferior version
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

Personally I take this youtube channel "MrWhoseTheBoss" as quite a good source of information. I think his tests are fair and usually true of fact... unlike some other YouTube testers and channels.

Therefore I have watched this video and i tend to agree with what he has tested.

However, I look at the tests and the results and try and apply that to real world usage. For example, benchmarking tools are good for indicative performance, but real world usage scenarios are unlikely to push devices to constant stress like a CPU or GPU test that is run 5 times over in sequence... even if playing an intensive game for an hour, there are many breaks and periods of less processing than give the device a chance to recover. These benchmark tests are fairly artificial methods to show a real performance.

The camera test. I am sorry, but for most consumers, this minor difference would never be noticed unless the devices are used side by side or a real professional photographer enthusiast were to analyse intricate details.  I have been impressed with all images I have taken so far.  

Overall, this article and benchmark test seems factual, but it is unlikely to make any difference to most of us, apart from the very few that really feel hard done by, the fact that another region has a slightly better optimised device.

1) All those Qualcomm versus Exynos people that just crave these type of results, can feel happy that they have been right all along.

To be honest, Qualcomm have always been ahead of Exynos for a number of years, and will still retain that lead.

2) As a UK consumer do I feel that I have been outdone or mis-sold my device ?    NO... Personally, I am still very happy with my Exynos S21u.

From my first week of usage, this is a great device... perhaps in a slight way it is not quite as good as the US market version... but will I ever be able to tell the difference in the real world usage ? Probably not !

my first week of usage has been great... and the device has got better and better for battery and functions. 

I am sure there will be many on here that disagree with my opinion... but those are my thoughts.

I get a bit fed up and tired of hearing about this constant argument of SD vs Exynos... this is hardly a 'real world problem' with what has been going on over the past year in the world.

Have a wonderful weekend all...

kind regards
Smiley 😀

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
Hvars
Explorer
Options

I came from Apple, ordered two S21 ultra three days ago. I had two issue with these orders.... The Samsung SAV was a pure nightmare. I cancelled one order. Could not cancel the second one yet (will do). And now this .... ok. Bye Samsung and good luck. 

0 Likes
Kace2021
Pioneer
Options

And why do you trust that guy on youtube?

This is the ultimate Exynos vs Snapdragon video and Exynos is in fact GREAT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSL7PXYPk40&t=559s

My device... Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 12/256GB Exynos
0 Likes
Hvars
Explorer
Options

He do because that youtuber is in fact one of the most serious one I know. His tests are almost always very serious, the guy is smart and always look to understand the complexity of a problem. Check at some of his videos, somes are awesome.  This one for exemple : https://youtu.be/iXKvwPjCGnY

0 Likes
Notamech
Voyager
Options
Fair. Good that it's worked for you. But there are others to whom this matters and the camera performance is a real world issue where one can tell the difference, not just professionals. Read the forums here and on xda several people have come forward with the issue of poor camera quality I'm sure not all of them are professionals. Heck I returned my unit for poor camera performance and I am far from being a professional. I'm glad that you're impressed with the performance of the cameras but you're the exception there seem to be more people complaining about the cameras than people satisfied with them. You see value is a perceived notion when we pay £1300 for an "upgrade" we expect the cameras to be better than our previous phones which it clearly isn't. Also when people are paying more and choosing this device its because they want the latest and greatest which again it isn't because a better version of it exists out there. While the adequacy of the cameras satisfies you, it doesn't many others. So yes the snapdragon vs exynos debate exists because it poses real world problems to many people, last year it was battery life, this year its about sub par cameras. Too bad that you're fed up with it but the discussion will continue as long as people feel they're being shortchanged. By your logic of "it doesn't make a real world difference" you should be happy if Samsung charge you for 16 gb ram but give you only 12 because that wouldn't make a real world difference when using the device but that's not how it works is it.
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

no problem Eldrid... sorry you had so many problems and felt you needed to refund your phone. Good luck in your search for a new phone.

looking at many posts I have read on the forum I believe I have been very lucky to avoid the issues that have been discussed.

For me... the main question is do I expect a phone to provide D-SLR quality images that would be consistent of a £1000+ dedicated camera ?... of course not. However wherever someone looks online there are so many contradictory reviews and information... it is a minefield out there.

Where one review slate the product for false camera processing...another reputable review from a company such as digital camera world give it a 5 star review.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/uk/reviews/samsung-galaxy-s21-ultra-review

There will always be lovers and haters.

Personally I have NOT been conned into buying this phone under false pretence. I knew what I was getting in for with the European Exynos version.

Did I expect it to perform as well as SD888... no.

Exynos has been behind for years... this is not going to change in a hurry and anyone that bought a European version in the hope it would outperform the SD version clearly doesn't know the history and previous releases.

Is this still a great phone ?  unless you have both handsets aside one another to compare the two meticulously. Yes, this is a great phone...absolutely. You can call me a fan boy or whatever... but the camera on this in my experience is amazing and far better than any phone owned before.   The screen, build quality and everything about it is just about as good as it gets right now.  The buds are also very good and a £219 freebie.  The bigger picture is not just a camera.   

My own experience of photography is very amateur... I see a picture that I like and I snap. I don't spend hours analysing that photo... but the optical zoom of the S21u has far exceeded any phone expectations of past.   Will my holiday snaps look amazing (when we are allowed to travel again... absolutely ! :smiling-face:

Will it pick up the odd grainy picture...maybe.  Will the dark shots be flawless... probably not.  When I was a kid and with film cameras...you only got one shot on film... and 24 exposures might have only had 12 useable pictures.  The beauty with these cameras is you can just keep snapping and save the best few.   Or better still...video and take stills in post-processing from the footage. 

It is also worth noting that this is the very FIRST week of the release of a new handset. There are a lot of minor issues that are not hardware related can be patched in the near future. Similar issues happen across many releases from all manufacturers.   Some of the image processing can be improved and this is not the final product as it stands...

I am not trying to make any fans here... but forums are generally very negative. People only usually only post anything when they have a complaint.

With my posts... I am trying to balance the experiences a little. For an outsider looking in... it must seem that these phones are a real bad purchase... well I reckon there are more that have not experienced any problems than those that have.

I won't drone on any further. I have no malice intended and I wish you all the best in your search for a replacement.

kind regards
Smiley 😀

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite