Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

S21 Ultra Exynos 2100 over heating even after update

(Topic created on: 27-07-2021 06:07 PM)
Laurian Stefan
Journeyman
Options

So I got the S21 ultra Exynos 2100 512GB a week ago and I noticed that the phone gets extremely hot even when doing frivolous tasks like notes, gallery, Instagram, even the screen turned on with 25% brightness  without actually doing something that requires a high processing power will make the cpu reach at least 40 degrees Celsius.

I'm using CPU Monitor to peek at my cpu performance and stats.

The Idle temp (first time turning on the screen after 10-15 minutes) is around 36 degrees.

It reaches 44 degrees while gaming and even playing music on YouTube with the screen off will get me to that temperature in just 10 minutes.

I started from scratch with the setup, I installed one app at a time, got no data from the old device.

I have the latest software version which was supposed to fix the overheating issue.

I use 120Hz and FHD but I noticed the overheating still happens with 60Hz as well.

My 5G is turned OFF, cpu limited at 70%, even with battery saver the phone still reaches the same temperature.

I still have the overheating issue even in Safe Mode.

Apps settings were remotely optimized by a Samsung technical support employee. He didn't know what to do and advised me to take it to a service.

This is my CPU status as I write this message.

Screenshot_20210727-200002_Cpu Monitor.jpg

 It seems like all the cores work at full speed but why does it have to be like this with only Google Chrome opened?

I'm wondering if this is a software or a hardware issue. If it's a software one I guess it can get fixed with a good update this time, one that will optimize the CPU usage in a smarter way, but I guess I'll find out in a few days since I'm planning on taking the phone to a Samsung Service for potential repairs.

Also, here s a screenshot of a benchmark I did a few days ago. The score is significantly lower than other S21 Ultra Exynos versions but the CPU stability seems to be 98% which is odd.

Screenshot_20210724-104509_3DMark.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laurian Stefan
Journeyman
Options

So I took the phone to a Samsung Service and they said the device has a manufacturing problem which can't get fixed and it should be returned right away.

Thanks for all your replies

View solution in context

16 REPLIES 16
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

"It seems like all the cores work at full speed but why does it have to be like this with only Google Chrome opened?"

Google Chrome is a battery hog. High battery use will cause high temperatures, same goes for Instagram. Please post your battery stats. Settings, battery & device care, battery, tap the graph and post a screenshot of the apps and their battery usage

Laurian Stefan
Journeyman
Options

I see what you're saying but I've been a Samsung user for more than 7 years and no other device behaved like this while using Chrome. Here are the screenshots:

Screenshot_20210727-202750_Device care.jpg

And power consumption by apps:

Screenshot_20210727-202750_Device care.jpg

As we can see Google Chrome uses the most of the battery indeed, but this is just because I've been searching a lot of things about my issue lately and most of the time I only used Chrome. However, if I were to stop using Chrome for a whole day the device will still get overheated but the Chrome won't be the main battery drainer anymore since it's not gonna be used, instead, there are gonna be whichever apps I'm gonna use in that scenario. I tried using samsung's default browser but the problem still persists. Thanks for your reply

Laurian Stefan
Journeyman
Options

Sorry, power consumption by apps 

Screenshot_20210727-202830_Device care.jpg

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
The Chrome issue happened at the last time the app updated. Try another browser until they fix it. I don't know what YouTube vanced is but that is using a lot of battery. High battery drain creates heat.

I think those are your issues, 40% battery usage in under 2 hours will create issues. Disable both apps for 24 hours and see how you get on.
Laurian Stefan
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for your insight!

I'll replace Chrome with Duckduckgo for a few days and I'll stop using YouTube Vanced for a while.

YouTube Vanced is a clone of the YouTube app which has the same functionality as YouTube Premium. I've been using it for 2 years on my previous devices and I had no issues at all, until now.

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It may be down to Android 11 with the YT app but I'd give my right arm to avoid all of those blasted ads.
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
If you are on the latest update the heating issue should have been fixed.

My phone does heat sometimes but not all the time.

Some People here did have nasty heat issues.
Instagram doesn't create heat on mine .
Playing COD sometimes not always.

I would suggest that you let the phone do its optimising on its own then reducing stuff and see.

Mine is everything on adaptive or auto with 5g, wqhd and 120hz.

Then again I only use main apps and not third party.
I feel lot of apps are still not optimised for the S21 or the S21 seems to handle or mishandle them differently. 🤔
Laurian Stefan
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for your reply, I'll give it a shot

0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Also the camera is the worst offender for heat especially if you do videos for long time.

Also weak mobile signal will make it go hot.
0 Likes